You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Cesana Shower Door Lock

Gurus,
I have found my shower door lock that everybody has been talking about.  I have tried every possible combination to install this thing.....except the right way!  Does anybody have a picture of how this lock used?

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Steve,

Open the door. The handle part of the lock is obvious. Hold the lock with the handle part and the rest above that. Slide the lock down over the upper support bar and the top edge of the door. It will help to squeeze the door towards the outside glass. The idea is that the lock squeezes the door to the glass and that traps it from moving.

This same process will work with the door closed, but that puts more strain on the upper support bar. The upper support bar is the most fragile part of the whole operation.

Sorry I don’t have picture but the description should get you going.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Steve,

Tom shared a Cesana door lock with me some time ago.  I had some difficulty making it work and preferred to use a different method that avoids pressure on the door all together.  We use an 8" bungi cord with one end hooked through the hole at the top of the fixed glass. With the door completely open wrap the bungi around the door trolly, fasten the other end of the bungi into the screw recess on top of the trolly mechanism.  The door has over the last year stayed in place without any problems. Here are some photos.  I hope this helps you.

Bob

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

Bill,
Thanks for the description....I will try it tomorrow night and give an update.

Bob,
If my plastic lock doesn't work I will check out your suggestion....thanks!

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

This is what mine uses.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

That is exactly what mine looks like. The hole is the handle and the “slot” fits over the top of door and upper support.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I have owned 2 of the official plastic holders. Each one broke while installing or removing incorrectly. Any motion away/outward from the glass will cause the plastic to break in the upper arch. Its good if used correctly and installed by the same person each time. Or maybe my monkey hands get in a hurry, not sure the root cause.

I now use a Home Depot 4" spring clamp with big plastic soft pads at the grip points. I would guess about 5 to 7 lbs of pressure with this holds it in place. I've maybe logged 20K miles so far like this without a problem. This is a 3" example, I'm sure mine is a 4"

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-in-M.../207119474

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

I no longer have a cesana door but in developing a lock for the new door, i arrived at a 1” or larger piece of clear tygon tubing slit length wise, and cut to length to keep door open. To use open slit with finger and slip over the round bar. Once started the rest goes on easy. The advantage over other solutions is that it puts no ssideways stress on the rollers

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Oddly enough I was thinking about this earlier today as I plan to close the brass factory this winter and will have my doors powder coated and thinking about how the powder would not like that acrylic clamp. Sometimes you guys take all the fun out of having to figure this stuff out on your own ;-)!

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Richard, do you leave the plastic tubing on the round bar when the door is open and just ‘jump’ the door over it to lock/unlock? Where can I buy 1-inch of Tygon tubing? :-)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40