You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Montana

Any comments on Montana registration?

I have registered several vehicle's in Montana, save $$$ on taxes and also registration fees are less than most states.

Saved a ton on Lousyana sales tax.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Saved a ton on Sales Tax by registering as LLC in Montana. PM me if you want the contact info for the company I used. It was simple and only took about a week.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

No doubt Montana license and registration is a money saver on the surface.  It is advisable to do a little due diligence before you make a decision.  With the economy the way it is and states looking for additional revenue it may serve you well to read the state law where you reside and have your attorney's opinion in hand if you are stopped and have to explain why your driver's license is from one state and your coach is registered in another.  Kind of reminds me of Dirty Harry "Do you feel lucky?"

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

You only want to register in Montana through an LLC. I have registered two motorhomes and two new autos with no problems and no issues with driver's license in a different state. If you do not use an LLC, you will be required to obtain a Montana drivers license which can only be obtained with a presence in Montana plus you will likely have to pay state income taxes in Montana. LLC is the only way to go but only if the purchase price is within their new limits. It has been several years but the original cost was about $1,000 plus an annual fess which is reasonable since they handle the annual filing fees and registration. Everything can be done by mail and I have saved many thousands of dollars in sales taxes over the years. You may be required to buy your insurance through a Montana agent, but there is an agent in Oregon that handles insurance for Montana vehicles.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Great info! I was considering the LLC but might not be worth it in my case. Ironically I have been seeing Montana LLC feeds in my sidebar advertisements.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I didn't do MT registration as the boss squashed that concept, but what I have gathered from friends who do it is to also register your tow vehicle, etc. in MT as well. Most I've talked to just register all vehicles there, especially if their home state has personal property tax like mine does. Only hangup I've heard of aside from your true resident state DOR coming after you is that some insurance carriers want the state the coach is registered in and whatever address you list as a storage location to be in the same state. Not all carriers, but some do.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO