You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Headhunter pump problems

The headhunter pumps runs up to 58 psi then runs for a minute or so then cycles off and the pressure drops to 30 psi and immediately starts running again. It does this repeatedly until it shuts off due to overheating.
The 12 volt pump runs ok, pumps to 35 psi and cycles on and off properly.
The headhunter pump was running ok until I filled the water tank through the tank fill at top of tank. It started cycling right after.
Any suggestions?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

(03-26-2013, 03:21 PM)folivier Wrote:  The headhunter pumps runs up to 58 psi then runs for a minute or so then cycles off and the pressure drops to 30 psi and immediately starts running again. It does this repeatedly until it shuts off due to overheating.
The 12 volt pump runs ok, pumps to 35 psi and cycles on and off properly.
The headhunter pump was running ok until I filled the water tank through the tank fill at top of tank. It started cycling right after.
Any suggestions?

I had problems with mine doing the same thing, but it was a combination of air in the lines, and the "city water" valve was open..

Coach Name: Hakuna Matata, 2005 Coach 722 47' Quad Slide, DD Series 60, Allison 6 Speed, Featherlite Toy Hauler

Try using water from every device served by the pump in an effort to let any air trapped anywhere a chance to get out. You are describing exactly what a headhunter will do with any air in the system. Good luck!

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

prime the pump or you can destroy the impeller if you continue to run with clicking noise inside pump.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

The pump is primed and full of water. Just ran each faucet and so far it seems ok. Wonder if I have somewhere in the water systems that is allowing air in the system? Don't see any leaks anywhere.
Wait just remembered that the fitting on top of the headhunter does have a slight leak. Could this cause the problem?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

forest, fix that fitting soon. what makes these headhunter pumps go bad is that the cover on the top that is over the circuit board will leak and short circuit the board if there is constant wetness. everyone i have seen or heard of going bad was for that.

does your pump cycle when the icemaker fills up with ice? i have heard from jimmy that if you dont have a bladder tank that small uses of water might cause the pump to cycle. i do not have a bladder tank and it hasnt been an issue.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

We just replaced a headhunter that was cycling. It would go to 65, shut down pressure dropped immediately until shutdown.
Turned out the reverse osmosis filters connected to the ice maker was causing the problem. It took some time to purge the air out after. I checked Monday and it has set a week now w no pressure drop. Added a 3gal accumulator to handle the ice maker and inline taste filters replaced the reverse osmosis filters.

We also had a electric city water/fill valve that was sticking. We took it apart n cleaned.
There is some good info on the headhunter web site That may help. But you have something leaking back into the system or air leak. If it was working before the fill good chance whatever you moved switched or inline check valve moved is where to start.

Jimmy

We're going to attack Forest's water pump issue today, but I have a few questions. It does act like there is an air leak. My question is when we shut off the Headhunter and turn on the 12V water pump, why does it not cycle in a similar manner? Why does the pressure gauge stay solidly at 30 psi? Does Headhunter have tech support available?

Thanks in advance.......................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve you can call them and they'll help.. There is also a couple of video's on this site that will help some. Plus some warnings in the installation manual. http://www.headhunterinc.com/Products/Wa...mach5.html the manual is in the documents section of this site, provided by Tom.

Also look for a check valve that may be isolating the 12v pump in the system. it could have something in it.. Isolate the Mach 5 and see what you have if all else fails..

Jimmy

Steve,

If the symptoms are still pump cycling I think tech support will tell you what they told me years ago and that is that there is air in the pressurized portion of the water system. In my case I had let the pressure go to zero due to changing a water filter. Once I purged all the air from the system the pump performed perfectly. It is programmed to run for some number of seconds ( don't have book handy ) even after demand has been met, and then shutdown until there is a new water demand. I have never had any problem with small demands like the ice maker that someone mentioned. Air, of course, can only get into the system once everything is closed up on the section side of the pump. Sunction side leaks can be hard to find. Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004