You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Alternator Belt on a Classic

Hey Guys,

On my last trip while driving they Mississippi some insulation came off and landed on top of the alternator, this cause the belt to cut off and lost my alternator. I can use the RV with the Generator just fine but I would love to have my alternator back, while I do have pieces of the belt how do I know what size and what belt specifically to get? also, how to I install the new belt? Should I remove the bed panel to access it from the top?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Juan

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

Short of putting a string between the pulleys to get a rough measurement, would a call to Newell help? They may have records of what was used?

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I feel kind of bad of not thinking about that first. 

I THINK that a Gates 7300 MIGHT work. I'll update the post when I install the new one in case anybody else has this same question.

Thanks for the help!

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

Don't feel bad. Sometimes we get so caught up in things we do not see the easy path. That said, once you get your "rough" string measurement, grab some belts that are a tad larger and smaller so you don't have to go back many times to the parts store except to return what you do not use. Also keep in mind the pulley width so you get the proper cross section.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

i am going to be shocked if newell an help you. there were many engine belt configs even on the same year coach. and i dont think they kept track of many if any at all.

it might help to take a picture of your config and post it so if anyone has the same config they can post the belt if they match.

other than that, it may be the string method and then buy that belt and one longer and shorter and try them all.

are you sure there is not one in the spares box that many owners keep in their coach bay?

dont overthink this.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Where is your alternator located ? My alternator was originally direct drive , at the trans end of the engine . I converted to a belt drive system using DD accessory drive off the same shaft the direct drive used . It is a double belt system . Your alternator has a single belt ?  Pictures ?
The string method will probably be best to at least get in the ballpark , or a rope , old belt , etc .
Agree with Tom on getting size from Newell , I bought fan belts based on p/n from original Newell spare parts sheet , wouldn't fit ! 
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

As to installing new belt , the alternator should have an adjustable mount . Move alternator so pullies are closest to each other . Removing bed will give you better access , but if you can get to the belt from the side it will probably be quicker . My belt conversion allows access from the side , your drive  may be similar .

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

For reference, mine has 2 belts -- NAPA PREMIUM XL 25-07383/7290

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

As to accessibility - It ain't gonna easy, but I'd have to remove the air cleaner & crankcase vent tube before I could get in close enough to touch it . . . .

I have no idea what is involved to access from the top - I probably should look into that . . .

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

Several of yuo have mentioned acccess under the bed on your classic. Am I the only one with nothing under the bed but a coach water heater for bedroom heat after running the coach  and an electric heater?

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59