You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Girard's Awning fabric falling apart

We spend alst 5 months in sunny and hot AZ & CA weather and i noticed one of the four fabric panels starting to fall apart , stiching got hammered by the sun and heat and just broke loose, so I had big long hole in the awning.

Trying to figure out some quick fix I bought 1" wide 3 M two side automotive tape and sticked both awning ends together, I know thsi amazing 3M tape can do the trick!!!
So far is holding very well!!

I alos used same tape in mounting bay's molding to the side of the coach , this stuff is super strong!!!

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Fulltime on the road hub base in Montana

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
security system 2 Rhodesians Ridgebacks (Basha & M'Kala)
Nissan Exterra 2007
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Les,
I am not familiar with the tape you used, but I have used fabric tape on awnings in the past with success. Have you considered what happens to the glue of the tape when the awning rolls up tight and it is hot?

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Les,

I changed the awning canvas on my Zip Dee awnings about 3 years ago. It wasn't too expensive; about $800 for 3 new awnings. The Girard awning is about the same price.

It really makes the coach look sharp!Smile

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

We will change our awning when back in MCC there is team husband & wife who specialize in all awning replacements , is just we are traveling and spend over 16k in 2 months on repairs and improvements, so we have to wait.

I was thinking the same as Raven mentioned about tape melting glue outside etc. I have checked and 3M tape has thsi webing type that grabs only contact aera, lets hope that is not running glue type where can create mess.

So far I used in full on 95F days and rolls out just fine!!!

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

(04-03-2013, 11:01 AM)tuga Wrote:  Les,

I changed the awning canvas on my Zip Dee awnings about 3 years ago. It wasn't too expensive; about $800 for 3 new awnings. The Girard awning is about the same price.

Wanted to ask you, do you do any oli maintenance or nay kind of lubrication on your Zip Dee's arm/roller part?
On my Girard I do lubricate the arms joints and base parts.

When rectract it still makes dragging noise! it always did, I am thinking is due to the old streatched fabric !

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Les,

My Zip Dees never did make any sounds like dragging etc. I never did lubricate them; however, I would guess that a product like Tri Flow spray would do a good job of lubricating everything internal.

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

(04-04-2013, 04:59 PM)tuga Wrote:  Les,

My Zip Dees never did make any sounds like dragging etc. I never did lubricate them; however, I would guess that a product like Tri Flow spray would do a good job of lubricating everything internal.

I did figure out why my Girard did make dragging noise! I did lubricated with dry silicon and is working smooth and quiet!

They do need lub every so often!!! the arm joints ( moving parts )

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

(04-04-2013, 09:03 AM)les korcala Wrote:  

Wanted to ask you, do you do any oli maintenance or nay kind of lubrication on your Zip Dee's arm/roller part?

When rectract it still makes dragging noise! it always did, I am thinking is due to the old streatched fabric !

I lube the roller hardware once a year, or when they start squeaking.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

(05-10-2013, 03:55 PM)whatsnewell Wrote:  
(04-04-2013, 09:03 AM)les korcala Wrote:  

I lube the roller hardware once a year, or when they start squeaking.

thanks for some tips!
We traveled trough CA & AZ where you get some windy,dusty wether and the parts on the Girard do get dry & dusty and start making noise I ened up just spray dry lube right on moving parts every 2 -3 weeks case we used lot in 80-90F temps, all the sound ( draggin sound went away) my fabric is very streatched.
in Indio at MCC there is company who did my solar winshield covers and they do replace fabric, we will get it done next winter while there!

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb