You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

time to find an alternative to 6 pack manifold solenoid air valves

Looks like a good alternate plan!

Tom,

If you have an old beat up valve bring it along to Spearfish.... Maybe I can re-machine the seats and repair the valve.. O-Rings should not be a big problem...

Jimmy

I'm a Foretravel owner that faces similar problems with regards to HWH solenoids. Here is a post I made over on the Foretravel forum that may apply.

Faced with having to replace some or all of the HWH leveling solenoid valves due to desiccant powder contamination, I have been searching for an alternative to purchasing new solenoids at $109 each.

HWH will rebuild a solenoid for a maximum charge of $76.50 each plus shipping. Still more than I want to spend since I believe any problem I expect to find can be solved by simply replacing the solenoid plunger (I expect desiccant powder has accumulated on the plunger seats, adversely affecting their sealing ability).

Others have reported leaking solenoid plunger seats resulting from various causes. One person, can't remember who, reported that he used a lathe to successfully resurface the plunger seats. A guy, Richard, over on the Newell Guru's forum removes the seat material and replaces it with RTV of the correct hardness (Shore A Durometer reading of about 72, he reports).

I asked HWH if they would sell just the plunger, but they said no.

So, off to the Internet.

After looking at hundreds of pictures, I decided that a Skinner replacement plunger V5-207-N available from these nice folks, http://www.Oemsurplus911.com, would work. I bought 6 for $17 each (no returns) for initial testing.

A comparison between a new HWH plunger (I took apart a new solenoid I had purchased this summer while at HWH) and the replacement is shown in Photo 1. They are virtually identical except for the seat diameter. The HWH seat is 0.3" while the replacement's seat is 0.2". This feature limits the replacement to use on the small orifice (3/32") solenoids (there are two large orifice, 5/32", solenoids used for tag dump). I can live with that.

The dimensions (inches) are:

HWH Replacement
Stem dia: 0.441 0.442
Length: 1.170 1.185
Flange dia: 0.540 0.610
Seat dia: 0.30 0.20

The seat material is black on the replacement plunger, but seems about the same hardness as the HWH.

I built a test jig that simulates an HWH manifold (see Photo 2). I tested one of the replacement plungers in a new HWH solenoid up to 150 psi with no leaks. I, also, switched the solenoid open and closed a number of times, still with no leaks.

I have no idea if these replacements have the durability (or lack thereof) of the HWH plungers, but I am willing to give them a try. I ordered more so I can replace all but the two large orifice solenoids.

Use this information at your own risk. I am not endorsing use of the replacements. I'm just willing to be a guinea pig.

Jim McNeece
2003 Foretravel
We share some of the same issues.

Jim,
Thank you for sharing! Since we do share similar problems and solutions don't be a stranger around here. We need more like you.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Jim:
Could you drill out the 3/32 orifices to 5/32 so the small diameter solenoid could be used on the tag?

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

No, you cannot drill out the 3/32" orifice to 5/32". The orifice sits up kind of like a volcano cone, so drilling it out would destroy the cone. Here is a photo taken by Michelle over on the Foretravel forum.

Jim McNeece
2003 Foretravel
We share some of the same issues.

Jim is right about the metal seat. In a previous life I was a valve maintenance engineer in a nuke power plant. The metal seat works best when the contact is as minimal as possible and crisp. It makes sense. If the metal seat contact area is wide the pressure of the closing spring is distributed over a larger area and reduces the sealing force

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )