You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator fire extinguisher

Has anybody done maintenance on the Newell installed generator fire extinguisher? Should it be replaced or serviced?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

This will be a good one for Steve Vance. I was just thinking the same thing on mine and had been meaning to ask.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Yep, Thought about mine the other day too! It's original and untouched.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I did replace mine since it was original to the coach. By visual inspection and weight ("full" weight is listed on the unit) it appeared to be fine. 

Since we use our genny quite a bit the peace of mind was worth a few hundred bucks.

If memory serves, I replaced it with a Sea Fire FG75A from Pacific Marine and Fire. It wasn't quite a plug and play change since the body diameter of the new one was slightly larger than my old one. Had minor interference with the framework holding the radiator as the genny tray slid in and out.

David and MaryLynn Kammeraad
1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse

Thanks for referring to me, Brad.

Fire extinguishers are different, in terms of usage (one time versus rechargeable) and servicing.

Generally, the better Amerex extinguisher can be serviced at 6 years for around $20. This is new seals, agent, and pressure check.

Some of the expensive agents, such as the HFC used in the Sea Fire, is stable enough to it warrant servicing like a dry Chem would; it doesn’t compact. The big concern is that the unit is holding pressure. So, if the gauge is still in the green range, there’s really no risk of the agent and extinguisher being able to discharge its contents.
So, the last component would be to make sure the sprinkler head is clean enough free of obstruction or debris that could delay its activation.

I have not problem with an extinguisher that’s many years old but had retained its pressure and have successfully discharged extinguishers that are as much as 15 years old.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Thank you Steve, My SeaFire has no gauge. I see a couple wires coming off of the head of the unit. Maybe they go to a pressure sensor?

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Yep, Newell wired a sensor into the start circuit. No pressure, no cranky.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )