You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

roof air vs. underbelly air

Mark,

I'll take a shot at this...since I actually have both (basement AND roof). All of this is opinion and is worth exactly what you pay for it. Smile

There are several advantages / disadvantages of each system.

Basement
1. Advantage. The weight of the units is lower making the bus more stable.
2. Advantage. Easier to work on. The units are right behind a door so are (on a Newell) easier to work on.
3. Disadvantage. The company that made the units in the vintage you are looking at is out of business and replacement units are (were) hard to come by. I think that Newell now has a solution for units that need to be replaced.
4. Disadvantage. The path that the air has to flow from the basement to the living space is limited. Maybe cause of the slide stuff. Anyway, in the front of my coach, the basement unit has a hard time keeping up with the solar loading when it is hot outside. (That is why I added a single roof air unit).
5. Advantage. As qcj says...The basement units are quieter. (at least inside the coach). I once had a guy at RV park give me a hard time about the noise of my basement units. I just smiled and watch him pull up stakes and move to another spot.

Roof
1. Disadvantage. More weight higher up makes the coach (theoretically) a little more unstable...Tho I have never heard anyone complain.
2. Advantage. Since the cold air has a shorter trip to get into living space it is more efficient.
3. Disadvantage. On coaches prior to 2005 there is nothing to hide the units on top of the bus. Some folks like a nice smooth roof line.
4. Advantage. If a unit needs to replaced...replacements are readily available.

Some folks have removed their basement air units and replaced them with roof units....but beware....its pretty easy to mess up that beautiful inside ceiling treatment with ugly air units. I saw a 2003 that had done that and it did not look good at all.

Finally...it really comes down to personal preference. I have basement airs, but have not really felt a lack of storage. (I have a huge bay that is open on both sides with a Joey bed. Half the stuff I haul around in that bay never gets used).

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Messages In This Thread
roof air vs. underbelly air - by mark cecot - 04-07-2013, 09:53 AM
RE: roof air vs. underbelly air - by bikestuff - 04-07-2013, 10:07 AM
RE: roof air vs. underbelly air - by qcj - 04-07-2013, 10:15 AM
RE: roof air vs. underbelly air - by mark cecot - 04-07-2013, 10:52 AM
RE: roof air vs. underbelly air - by encantotom - 04-07-2013, 11:04 AM
RE: roof air vs. underbelly air - by folivier - 04-07-2013, 03:34 PM
RE: roof air vs. underbelly air - by whatsnewell - 04-08-2013, 05:51 AM