You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Lost tail pipe and exhaust tip

Hi all,

Hope everyone is having a fabulous 4th of July weekend. 
While traveling on I-26 from Columbia, SC to Hendersonville, NC, I lost my exhaust tip and about a foot or so of the exhaust pipe. My wife kept telling me that she was hearing some sort of noise coming from the back of the coach but since I didn't hear anything, I just kept on going (dumb). Anyway, a little while later, I was looking at my outside mirror and saw something flying come out from underneath the Toad. I stopped and walked around the coach but didn't notice anything missing. We only had about 10 more miles to the campground, so we got back in and kept going. I assumed I picked up something on the highway and was dragging under the toad for a while (apparently, that strange sound my wife was hearing). Anyway, we got to the campground and while unhooking the toad, I noticed that my exhaust tail piece was no longer there.  We jumped in the car and drove back to where I saw the flying object (actually we had to go about 5 miles south of the spot to find an exit). Fast forward, no luck whatsoever. Looked and looked, pulled over several times for false alarms.

I am heading back to Columbia on Tuesday and have about a 2.5 hour drive. 

Questions:

What, if any risks do I have driving without the tail piece? 
Should I be concerned about the exhaust heat going back up in the engine compartment and causing the engine to run hotter? 
Could the additional heat on the fiberglass rear cap cause it to catch on fire?

Below is a picture of what the tail piece looks like on my '92. Does anyone know if Newell will still have these available or am I looking at having to get one fabricated? I plan to call Newell on Tuesady but thought I would ask you guys as well.

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
2023 Ford Broncos Bad lands Toad
Columbia, SC

Depending on how the remaining pipe is pointing, I would not worry about it melting the rear section. It may get dirty for sure. I doubt you'll find one at Newell but it would not hurt to ask. Your best bet would be to get it fabricated. Try looking again at where you thought it fell off. I have the same piece and with your unfortunate experience will make me check the security of mine.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Those tail pipe assemblies were hand made by Newell originally. I have seen some reinvented by individuals in the years since. They are a rather complex shape so they would be labor intensive to construct.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

For the time being can you fit a piece of straight pipe to extend out the rear? It would alleviate any CO2 issues in the coach, and reduce the exhaust residue you will have to clean up.

Gotta be truck joints in Asheville that can help.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard,
You must be thinking of CO, carbon monoxide.

Thanks for all who replied. Unfortonately, I was not able to take advantage of Richard's suggsstion. I tried a half dozen places in and around Hendersonville with no success. We drove home as is. For sure quite a mess on the toad.but it cleaned up easikg. 

I contacted Newell yesterday and they don't have it available I asked if they had a part drawing/print available but haven't heard back yet.

@Simon or Michael. If possible, would either of you be able to take some pics at different angles and provide a sketch with some dimensons? That would be helpful in getting one fabricated.

Thank you

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
2023 Ford Broncos Bad lands Toad
Columbia, SC

Mine was missing when I purchased the coach. I talked to Newell about it at the time (2006) and was told that they used to hand build those units to fit the space available. Sorry I can't be of much assistance. Mine, like yours was just the end of an exhaust pipe dumping into the radiator area, I had a muffler shop weld an extension on which brought the end of the pipe down to the opening and dumping straight down onto the ground. It has worked well but if I were to drive on unpaved roads, which I try to avoid, it would blow dust up into the radiator as it doesn't extend past the outside of the rear cap.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

My 90 I put a round downpipe on it. Newell wanted over 1000 10 years ago to make one.

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Stapleton42 on his YouTube channel did some work with the exhaust on his Newell.
I know at least once I looked at a website that had exhaust system pieces we could buy at various sizes and configurations.
I think I got the name of the website from his videos.
https://www.truckpipesusa.com/ might have something you can use.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

Tony, let me see what I can do.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312