You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Flickering Dash Backlights

We have a 2015 and the backlighting to the arm console and overhead is starting to flicker.

The “belief” from a Newell Tech is that the transformers are failing, which are odd little 240v pucks that were made by a small shop in Joplin that is no longer around.  That’s bad news, if it were a simple replacement.  My analysis, however, makes me doubt what the Newell tech thinks.  Having two fail at the same time is odd, especially when those two are tied together with Velcro and wire-ties.

Even though these seem cheesy, I’m suspicious that it may be a voltage issue, so I thought I’d reach out to you guys, before I go down that route.  Perhaps someone else has had the same issue and found the problem.

Otherwise, the solution would be to replace the entire instrument panels along with the newer electro-luminescent display panels.  Yuck.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Do you have a photo or any other information on them? I may have the same setup.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Here is a video of the flickering; had to post it on YouTube since this forum doesn't allow videos.

https://youtu.be/BKtRq8SIC5A

And, again, this is what the "ballast" looks like:

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

How do you regulate the brightness of the backlights. On 653, the backlights were adjusted with a small knob and a rheostat. When you just lightly touched the knob the backlight would flicker.

Replacing the small rheostat solved the problem.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

(06-20-2023, 10:28 AM)bikestuff Wrote:  How do you regulate the brightness of the backlights.  On 653, the backlights were adjusted with a small knob and a rheostat.  When you just lightly touched the knob the backlight would flicker.

Bill

Yeah, those lights are fixed on the ballast. Good thought, though, that was the first thing I looked for. I’m still not convinced those pots are bad.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

(06-20-2023, 10:28 AM)bikestuff Wrote:  How do you regulate the brightness of the backlights.  On 653, the backlights were adjusted with a small knob and a rheostat.  When you just lightly touched the knob the backlight would flicker.

Bill
I was wondering how to dim them last night cruising along in the middle of the night.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Have you looked under the drivers console for an unlabeled pot / rheostat?

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Steve,
The picture shows an inverter tie wrapped to a dimmer. Here is the url for the dimmer
http://www.scottelectronic.com/mobile-illumin8r.html

It appears that they may still be in business since the copyright on the webpage is 2023. However I can't confirm that as I have no phone call access where I am right now

In any event, its clear to see they use a remote potentiometer as part of their dimmer. Ask Newell where they put it. This analog part may be the culprit in your switching power supply problems.
Regards,
Bob

Bob & Dottie
Newell 1261 & Jeep Grand Cherokee fulltimers
Past Teton Reliance 45'  5th wheel
Custom Volvo VNL780 tow vehicle
2014 Smart car

(06-20-2023, 12:49 PM)bikestuff Wrote:  Have you looked under the drivers console for an unlabeled pot / rheostat?

Bill, actually, they have a pot on top of one and a separate pot just loosely wire-tied to the other ballast.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

(06-20-2023, 10:59 PM)xGE_97 Wrote:  Steve,
The picture shows an inverter tie wrapped to a dimmer. Here is the url for the dimmer
http://www.scottelectronic.com/mobile-illumin8r.html

It appears that they may still be in business since the copyright on the webpage is 2023. However I can't confirm that as I have no phone call access where I am right now

In any event, its clear to see they use a remote potentiometer as part of their dimmer. Ask Newell where they put it. This analog part may be the culprit in your switching power supply problems.
Regards,
Bob

Gosh Bob, I believe you're right!  I never paid close attention to that board that was tied to the power supply!!  I kinda took the Newell guys' word for it when they showed me the module and said he's out of business.

I know one Pot was just hanging down on its wires. But, I THOUGHT I saw another Pot as well and if so, maybe they're BOTH going bad and that's why the backlights for the overhead and arm rest will flicker differently...not all all...or completely go dark!

I need to figure out if this may just be a simple Pot replacement!!! Wow...wouldn't that be great...aside from taking that stuipid dash pad off again!! argh.

THANKS GUYS!
I'll circle back when I fix it.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA