You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator no start

Hi Everyone! We returned from a 3 week cross country trip but not without some issues. The main one besides the rather decent sized oil leak thats hard to find is the generator. It will sometimes start when using the switch in the coach and other times not. During the trip I figured out a way to start it by opening the slide and holding the solenoid in while cranking it. I did replace the solenoid before the trip being all proud that I figured out the solution. (Generator started as normal from inside the coach!) So is there a "Latching" relay that powers the solenoid? I do see one (automotive style) under the generator start/stop switch in the compartment. We had bought a small Predator generator as a backup and even tested it for 30 min outside my garage before the trip. During the trip, it too, failed to start and when it did run, produced no power. We had some hot weather to drive through which was miserable (Before I figured out to manually start the on board generator) along with some cold nights. Along the way, we lost the inverter, fridge, some air leaks, front A/C and what seems to me as a bit too much play in the steering although I was told it is normal...

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Gordon will prolly chime in with better info.

I learned this from him. If you just put in new solenoid, try loosening the adjustment an 1/8 of an inch. Counterintuitive I know. I put mine in with no slack in the adjustment rod when the fuel stop was open. It just wouldn’t catch reliably. He told me it needs a wee bit of slack to reliably lock in.

The fact that it locks in when moving by hand would leads to try the adjustment first.

Second thing that Gordon educated me on was there are two styles of those solenoids. One style has two wires. The other style has three wires. The three wire style gets an extra OOOMPH when the switch is held in to pull the lever. The ooomph goes away when you release the start switch.

@bestgenman, did I pass the test?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Gordon was at the Tom Sawyer rally but I didn't want to bother him over this. I didn't want anyone ruining their vacation time over fixing stuff. That's just me. I'll try loosening the rod. I do have three wires of which has no mating connection.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Did you forget our motto? Friends helping friends
Newell's are maintenance intensive, like other coaches. All of the Newell gurus rallies I've been to have been fun gatherings but also to help work on coaches. You'd be amazed at the things that have been accomplished at our rallies.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I do know the motto, but didn't want to bother anyone. That said Steve and Rudy were over helping Vinny out with his roof airs. I had to jump in and help them get them on the roof. Two young guys doing the lifting while the older guys doing the wisdom is how it should be! I came from a British car event where the carburetor guru was there trying to enjoy that rally. Unfortunately, he spent the next three days and nights in the parking lot doing rebuilds and adjustments on many of the cars. He really wanted to just enjoy the show and I felt bad for him while everyone else did their drives and tours.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

At the last British car rally I went to, I sold my entire inventory of Lucas wiring harness repair kits.

[Image: wire-harness-smoke-Custom.jpg?resize=321%2C576]

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

The rally would have been the opportune time to help you with this.  The solenoid has two coils inside, one is pull-in (white wire), the other is hold-in (red wire), black is negative.   The pull-in can only be energized for a short period or you’ll let the smoke out!   Disconnect the rod from the slug.  When the slug is pushed all the way in, pull the rod from the injection pump back until it stops, it should extend past the mating hole by 1/8”.  This insures the slug can bottom out without being held back by the pump’s maximum stop.  Occasionally, the slug can get sticky from dirt build up, make sure it is clean and only lubricate with dry lubes.

Richard, you are a good student…..and a great instructor!

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

(10-10-2022, 09:54 PM)MrE Wrote:  At the last British car rally I went to, I sold my entire inventory of Lucas wiring harness repair kits.

I built and modified the 1970 TR6 for which we used to attend the marks rallies all over the country. I had sold the car to a club member in 2014. He has done a great job of keeping it in excellent shape. When I built the car, I ran all silicone insulated oversized wiring one strand at a time and made a harness. Drove that car everywhere including Toronto for a meet one year all the way from AZ. It's been a while and we took the time to drive to the event this year. Everyone looked great as they did the last time we were together.  One thing I have learned is that no matter the vehicle, the bonds of friendships made will always remain even when those toys are gone. The pic is of myself and the new owner.

(10-11-2022, 05:57 AM)bestgenman Wrote:  The rally would have been the opportune time to help you with this.  The solenoid has two coils inside, one is pull-in (white wire), the other is hold-in (red wire), black is negative.   The pull-in can only be energized for a short period or you’ll let the smoke out!   Disconnect the rod from the slug.  When the slug is pushed all the way in, pull the rod from the injection pump back until it stops, it should extend past the mating hole by 1/8”.  This insures the slug can bottom out without being held back by the pump’s maximum stop.  Occasionally, the slug can get sticky from dirt build up, make sure it is clean and only lubricate with dry lubes.

I knew you would be busy and figured my solution would be a simple over the "internet" deal. I did replace the solenoid with a new genuine Martin/Yanmar part. I will do as you suggested and see if that helps. I think mine has two wires connected with a third one not mating to anything. I noticed Rudy and Steve trying to help Vinny on getting two roof airs removed/replaced. Figured the older guys would do the mental work while the young guys do the lifting. We had the units swapped in about 15 minutes. I can't stand to watch people struggle or need assistance without doing something. In the end, they needed some drain parts that were hard to find. I believe they got it done but we had to leave a few days early.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

(10-11-2022, 05:57 AM)bestgenman Wrote:  The rally would have been the opportune time to help you with this.  The solenoid has two coils inside, one is pull-in (white wire), the other is hold-in (red wire), black is negative.   The pull-in can only be energized for a short period or you’ll let the smoke out!   Disconnect the rod from the slug.  When the slug is pushed all the way in, pull the rod from the injection pump back until it stops, it should extend past the mating hole by 1/8”.  This insures the slug can bottom out without being held back by the pump’s maximum stop.  Occasionally, the slug can get sticky from dirt build up, make sure it is clean and only lubricate with dry lubes.

I knew you would be busy and figured my solution would be a simple over the "internet" deal. I did replace the solenoid with a new genuine Martin/Yanmar part. I will do as you suggested and see if that helps. I think mine has two wires connected with a third one not mating to anything. I noticed Rudy and Steve trying to help Vinny on getting two roof airs removed/replaced. Figured the older guys would do the mental work while the young guys do the lifting. We had the units swapped in about 15 minutes. I can't stand to watch people struggle or need assistance without doing something. In the end, they needed some drain parts that were hard to find. I believe they got it done but we had to leave a few days early.

(10-10-2022, 09:54 PM)MrE Wrote:  At the last British car rally I went to, I sold my entire inventory of Lucas wiring harness repair kits.

I built and modified the 1970 TR6 for which we used to attend the marks rallies all over the country. I had sold the car to a club member in 2014. He has done a great job of keeping it in excellent shape. When I built the car, I ran all silicone insulated oversized wiring one strand at a time and made a harness. Drove that car everywhere including Toronto for a meet one year all the way from AZ. It's been a while and we took the time to drive to the event this year. Everyone looked great as they did the last time we were together.  One thing I have learned is that no matter the vehicle, the bonds of friendships made will always remain even when those toys are gone. The pic is of myself and the new owner.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

When did they start letting old guys attend unofficial Newell rallies?

1995 # 390