You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Heat pump issue

Hi all,

Why would none of my 4 roof units work?  I turned them on heat pump…nothing.  Then turned fans on high…and still nothing. 

Why is this?

The coach has been sitting but the AC was working great just a few weeks ago. 

I checked circuit breakers and all good there. Generator is running and have full power.

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

David, have you tried A/C reset just in case they are still in cooling mode? Turn everything off, including the generator, shore power, wait 3-5 minutes, set to heat pump mode set desired temperature one at time. If your ac unit/heat pump have a fuse or reset bottom you can try that too. What’s the maker and model in your 695?

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

Look for the Heat / AC switch on your main switch console by the galley. I bet the switch is in the AC position. Turn it to Heat and see what you get.

These coaches are really designed to use the Aquahot as their main heat source. There is a “Teddy” heater under the galley and most have an electric heater under one of the sofas / bedroom.

I know this doesn’t answer your question about the heat pump…but when you are cold getting heat is the important part. Smile

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Like Bill said, check the Heat/AC switch. I know why Newell did it, but that switch has caused more short term anxiety than any other component on the coach. After 16 years of ownership, I still panic when the ACs don’t come on, only to eventually remember to look at the switch.

And with heat pump equipped coaches, it becomes a real conundrum. The switch has to be on Heat for the Aquahot electric element to do it’s job, but I don’t think the heat pumps will work with the switch on heat.

I have to ask a stupid question, because I am not familiar with your coach. Are you sure you have heat pumps? Or are you thinking you have heat pumps because the Tstat has a heat setting? On most of the coaches I am familiar with the Heat setting on the Tstat runs the Aquahot heat based system. But then again, no two Newells are alike.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks for all the quick help and suggestions. I drove all night and was wiped out, spent the night in the coach, and this morning at least the rear two heat pumps were working (roof units). I had to run to meetings and am still on the run, so I stuck the coach inside and will revisit this next week. I have a to-do list to complete ASAP and verifying all the heating systems are operational is one of the items.

One quick question so I am clear, which heaters rely on the Aquahot and which ones are electric and independent? I have the following aside from the roof units:

1) Floor unit at driver's feet (activated by switch in console)
2) Baseboard unit under desk in salon (activated by thermostat in galley)
3) Baseboard unit in Galley
4) Heated floor in galley (electric but listing anyway)
5) Baseboard unit in middle half bath (activated by thermostat in half bath)
6) Baseboard unit under the bed
7) Floor unit in rear bath (activated by thermostat in bath)
8) Heated floor in rear bath (electric but listing anyway)

Thanks again!

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

1,2,3,5,6,7 all use hot coolant from AH. Or at least they do in our rig.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Thanks Richard.

I have some trouble shooting to do. The baseboard/toe-kick vents in the salon and the bedroom aren't blowing hot air. Actually, they aren't blowing at all so I am guessing I need to sort why the fans aren't turning on and then make sure the water is flowing. Everything else is working.

Any suggestions on where to look first?

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

those little fans on those units tend to fail. they are just simple little computer fans. i have replaced a number of mine.

if you are getting hot water flowing through them, then changing the fans will fix you up as long as you have power to them.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

A couple of more things to look at:

The AH has brass check valves located in the AH bay. They are located in the three circulation loops. Sometimes they stick. A quick rap with a hammer usually unsticks them. With the zones activated, a quick touch of the inlet and outlet hoses will let you know if coolant is circulating.

There are three cube relays on the AH control panel that control the on/off of the circulation pumps. If the pumps are not turning on, check those relays.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Thanks all - I'll get on this on Monday when I'm back home.

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry