You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

#480 rear slide inop

and here we go again.
rear slide is inop will not go out.
here is as much info as I can give ( richard tought me that lol)
coach fully aired up at 120 psi
coach level
batteries have a full charge of 13.8 volts
front slide and floor work perfectly
Turn on rear slide hwh controller in bedroom and seals deflate. light turns yellow so ready for operation. when I press the extend button i can hear a pump running but only the top of the slide will move, and it only moves about 1/2" then no further. bottom of slide will not move at all. when i try and retract the slide it only will come back in on that top the little it had gone out. I pulled the floor up under the bed to expose the runners , limit switches and a hydralic ram. no leaks in system, nothing under there that is causing a bind or sticking it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides
Detroit Diesel  series 60   turned up to 745 hp  

Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there only 1 ram on the rear slide? If the top comes out that means the locking pins have retracted so I would take a lucky guess and say its one of the valves on the HWH system for the rear slide. I think there are magnetic reed switches on the locking pins that if both have not retracted the pump shouldn't even come on for the main ram, if its coming on then once again I think its a stuck valve up front.

My GUESS

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

You state that the coach is level, but is it in travel mode?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

This issue seems like a broken record!  I have had it since ownership.  Richard has written numerous posts on this.  @Richard’s procedure:  lower coach with down button, shut off control and let coach come to travel height and waiting until the engine driven compressor  governor unloads.  This next part is my additional procedure, I release the brakes during the down portion to let any binding caused by the brakes holding (wheel chocking required sometimes) and let travel height settle without brakes applied.  Then set the brakes an deflate the seals.

Chester is spot on!  The coach is resting  on three legs rather than four.  Imagine a milking stool, someone once said. 

For some reason, the rear slide is more sensitive to binding and is further away from the hydraulic pump.  Steve Bare has a post on the P/N needed to upsize the motor.   I have not needed to do that.

Hope this helps.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

so doesnt matter if in level mode, drop mode, raise mode. moved the coach just in case in a bind, still no worky.  rear slide will only move out on the top like 1/2 inch. brakes released makes no difference. . we can hear he pump running when trying to extend but no action. bottom not moving at all. Thanks everyone for the help. This is a new coach to us, any help appreciated

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides

Adam, it sure sounds like the solenoids for the rear are not behaving properly.

Do you have a picture or any documentation that shows you which solenoids are which on the hydraulic manifold?

HWH uses a slightly different hydraulic logic that most of us are used to. Both sides of the piston in the ram are pressurized OR the ram will not move. There is a check valve in the ram. The room WILL NOT move if pressure is not applied to both sides of the ram.

Can you see over the top of the valence? Take a flashlight and ensure that the locking pins are up. This is a critical piece of info. If the pins are not up, then we need to look into the electronics.

When you try to extend the room, you say you hear the pump run. Does it sound like it loads up or slows down like it’s trying to build pressure against a dead head. Or does it just whine like it is free pumping?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

As always TY everyone for helping with these issue. So yes I did find something someone had posted on t he forum showing which solonoids up front in the hwh bay are for the rear slide. I think it is valve 5&6.  so when I hear the pump running it does not sound like it is building any pressure ( does not ramp up or down, just sounds like its freewheeling ). I am goin to check the locking pins this afternoon again as you requested. So minor question, do the locking pins operate on air or hydralic pressure ?  on the hwh solonoids is there a pressure valve in it or on it ? and I will look for that  check valve you stated on the ram

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides

the locking pins are hydraulic.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

The pins are hydraulic.

The check valve is internal to the ram cylinder, you can’t see it unless you take the cylinder out. And removing that cylinder is an all day circus.

This next check is a bit redneck, but that is my super power. The lines for the ram exit into the fender well, and then go through the frame rail into the belly of the beast. If you can locate the connection fittings, you could crack them and activate the switch. Cover then with rags so you don’t squirt ATF everywhere. And certainly don’t get near a hydraulic leak. But if they spew fluid when holding the switch, you have isolated the problem to the ram or something in the mechanism. If they don’t spew fluid, the problem is at the pump/solenoids/control board.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

UPDATE !!
So looked up on top of slide and both locking pins are in the unlock position and do not move whether switch is on or off.   
pulled line off back of ram under bed and hit the switch and no pressure coming out of the lines. on my coach lines exit under bed area and straight to the middle of the coach. ( I Jammed the switch) Ran to the front and I can hear the hwh motor running when in the extend position on the switch, but again no slide movement except for a tiny bit on the top. motor does not ramp or or seem to be making pressure ??

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides