You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Questions about some lights, what or when they turn on?

I am still working on a list of items on my newly purchased 701. 

One of the issues is that several signal lights do not turn on. This includes one brake light and one turn light (both on the left side). These look straightforward and seem easy to fix. 

But I have one red light on each side of the coach (see photo below) never seemed to light up, and I don't know when they are supposed to turn on. 
The location of these two red lights is NEAR the rear of the coach (but not at the rear), one each on the side. The left side of this light is right under the coolant-add inlet and above the radiator.

The light bulb on each side is a 12v 194 type bulb, tested both are good. But I am replacing them with LED equivalent once I get the wiring issue fixed.

Could someone let me know if these two (2) lights come on simultaneously when the turn signal is on? or if the brake is on or always on?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

Ok, I figured that out after speaking with Newell. The two lights on the two sides in the rear are "Marker Lights."
They are controlled by a switch on the left panel of the driver's seat.

But I have the same question about two other lights that never seem to turn on.
It's the two round lights between the rear and tag wheel. Are they also "Marker Lights"?

Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

Those lights are called "docking lights". Use them when you're backing into a site at night. There should be a switch on the dashboard or armrest (where transmission control is) marked docking light.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

The docking lights are sized as "Par 36" series. I replaced my incandescent with LED's off Amazon, $16 each, and they really light it up back there.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

(11-02-2022, 12:33 PM)smagown Wrote:  The docking lights are sized as "Par 36" series. I replaced my incandescent with LED's off Amazon, $16 each, and they really light it up back there.

Thank you both @folivier @smagown for your feedback and sharing your experiences. 
I removed one on my 701 and found it uses the type "H3" bulb on my coach.
So I ordered some H3-type LED bulbs from Amazon, which cost under $18 per pair. There are also cheaper ones that cost $9 per pair, and I ordered that too just for comparison.

Ok, now all docking lights are working.
I learned that to be able to turn them on, the key has to be in the socket, and the battery disconnect switch in the rear has to be ON.
Otherwise, the docking light switch won't turn them on.

Now I am ready to move to resolve my next issue with coach 701 - the wiper at the driver's side is inop. The passenger-side wiper works as expected.

Sometimes the pivots seize in the outside mount. If you turn on the wiper motor, can you move the wiper gently back and forth by hand?

If that is the case. http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=5077

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )