You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Problem with Yard Lights - unable to turn off

I have three Yard Lights on my coach 701, two on the passenger side and one on the driver's side.

My problem is that as soon as the "AUXILIARY BATTERY" disconnect switch (located in the house battery compartment) is turned ON, all three (3) yard lights are turned on with all tests:

Pressing the "Yard Light" control on the panel makes it turn ON or OFF a RED bulb behind the touch key, but it does not affect the yard lights outside.

The below tests, A, C thru E, are done with the Chassis Battery disconnect switch OFF. And B, F, G tests are done with Chas-Batt ON. And the “MERG” switch in front of the driver’s seat is ON:

Testing condition A:  Shore-Power ON, Generator OFF, Inverter/Charger ON, Auxiliary Battery OFF, Chassis Batt OFF, Engine OFF:  Yard Lights OFF.

Testing condition B:  Shore-Power ON, Generator OFF, Inverter/Charger ON, Auxiliary Battery OFF, Chassis Batt ON, Engine OFF,  Yard Lights OFF.

Testing condition C:  Shore-Power ON, Generator OFF,  Inverter/Charger ON, Auxiliary Battery ON, Engine OFF:  Yard Lights ON(unable to turn off)

Testing condition D:  Shore-Power OFF, Generator ON, Inverter/Charger ON, Auxiliary Battery ON, Engine OFF:  Yard Lights ON (unable to turn off)

Testing condition E:  Shore-Power OFF, Generator ON, Inverter/Charger ON, Auxiliary Battery OFF, Engine OFF:  Yard Lights ON (unable to turn off)

Testing condition F:  Shore-Power OFF, Generator OFF, Inverter/Charger ON, Auxiliary Battery OFFEngine ON:  Yard Lights ON (unable to turn off)

Testing condition G:  Shore-Power OFF, Generator OFF, Inverter/Charger ON, Auxiliary Battery ONEngine ON:  Yard Lights ON (unable to turn off)

The above tests show the yard lights are always on whenever either Engine or Generator is on, and turning the Auxiliary Battery disconnect switch position has no effect.

My question is, are there relays located somewhere that control the left and right side yard lights when the touch-key controls are pressed? 

And my 2nd question is why I have to leave the “MERG” switch on in order to be able to turn on the VALID leveling controller (Engine OFF”) status?

If I don’t turn on this MERG switch, the valid leveling controller remains off, cannot be turned on power.
Wiring error? This valid leveling controller was replaced with a new one by a repair shop 4 months ago.

Any thoughts or ideas on how I can troubleshoot this issue would be greatly appreciated. 

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

I called Newell and asked Mr. Robert Ellis about this issue.
He said there is a switch panel in the belly of the coach. Two switches control the yard lights, which should be turned off.
I tried it, and it worked. Problem solved!

Regarding the power to the Valid Leveling Controller, Robert says the engine disconnect switch has to be ON in order to power on and run the Valid Leveling System.
I usually have this chassis battery switch OFF (most of the time), so the "MERG" ON status enabled the power to the Valid controller.

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control