You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Potentiometers

My Newell has several of these functioning as light dimmers and need to be replaced. They are labeled "Mouser K50" . I cannot find them on Mousers web-site. Is there a better choice for a replacement? I'm planning to convert to LED's.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Gordon, are those 12 volt dimmers?

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

The Mouser K50's are controlling the 12V lights...
Question for Clarke. I see you bought the LED strip lights. How do they compare to the fluorescent lights in the cove lighting as far as brightness?

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Dean
For the cove lights, 5050 30led/meter, are a very close match in brightness.
color wise, use pure white or cool white.
They are also available in 60 led/meter, but my 67 yo eyes don't need them for indirect lighting

I changed cold to cool. was a typo

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

hi dean,

i agree with gordon on the pure (cool) white led's but many like the warm light color. it is personal preference.

there are two led's used in strip lights commonly. 3528 and 5050. you can also get them in 30 or 60 led per meter. i experiments with different densities and led's to get the light i wanted.

i also closely watched what current draw they had.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(04-14-2013, 05:35 PM)HoosierDaddy Wrote:  The Mouser K50's are controlling the 12V lights...
Question for Clarke. I see you bought the LED strip lights. How do they compare to the fluorescent lights in the cove lighting as far as brightness?

I used the "warm" color LED's to replace the 8 fluorescent fixtures in the bedroom cove lighting. I used 2 length of strip lighting on each side and find they are very comparable to the fluorescent lights that were there before. Of course, there is no "buzzing" sound anymore, and I don't have to worry about ballasts going bad, and replacing the tubes on a regular basis.

I bought four 12 volt dimmers on Amazon.com (.8 amp) for $8 each. Used one in the living area to power a 24' length of LED strip lighting I installed between the valance and curtains. Provides nice supplemental lighting in the evening.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

btw, on my 02, the electronic dimmer in the bedroom for all the 12v lights in mine are a SCOTT Electronics unit. one for each circuit. the dimmer switch for the bedroom strip light was broken so i called mr scott to find out what pot it was. good thing i dd as it is a tapered pot and not a linear pot like you could get at radioshack. 10k ohm

you can also get them at radioshack for 4-5 bucks apiece.

all of this is if yours is similar

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I recently modified my cove lights. I went to Lowes Depot and bought a pvc fluorescent light cover. I then cut a board down so it would slide into the light cover tube. The LED light strip bonds to the board. This will allow me to easily clean dust etc from the light.
The first pic shows the light tube velcroed to the back side of the valance.
The second pic shows the original mount that I used along side the new "light tube"

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nicely done!

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Much more eloquent than my install. I picked up some sheet rock corner molding and used it. Works well but won't be nearly as easy to dust.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad