You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1991 8V92TA w/ 4 Speed allison

Marcus,

I hate to admit that I have been stuck twice in soft ground. I have the locking diff, and in both cases it made no difference in soft ground conditions. It did help me get up a snowy hill once though. Letting air out of the tag bags did not help on the soft ground, it too made it worse. When the ground won’t support the weight on the drive tires, adding more weight to the drives doesn’t help. And the steer tires that most of run on all axles might as well be drag slicks in the mud.

My advice to anyone spinning on soft ground is to STOP immediately. All the tricks we learned to unstick cars only make it worse with the weight of our coaches. The more you spin, the deeper you will get, and make it harder for the tow to pull you out. If you wish to continue, put some old carpet or other means of support under the drive tires before attempting again.

I make my comments based on my two experiences. The first time, I worked at it, and only succeeded in burying the coach to the frame in the rear. It took two days and three wreckers to get me out. The second time, I quit as soon as I spun. A roll back with a winch hooked to the tow hitch on the rear and had me out in about 5 minutes.

Also, the coach was new to me when I stuck it the first time and there is an anomaly with the HWH leveling system that worked against me in the excitement. I have since learned the work around. During the excitement I could not get the coach to raise on the air bags. It seemed that the leveling system was in raise and travel at the same time. It was in fact in both modes at the same time. It is a programming glitch in the HWH software in conjunction with how Newell wired the ignition/e brake activation of travel. If you find yourself in a situation where it seems the air going into the bags is going out as soon as it goes in, then the fix is simple. After the coach is cranked, press the Emergency OFF button in the lower left of the control panel, and then put it in level mode.

Of course everyone’s situation will be different, but my approach is now call the wrecker sooner not later.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Messages In This Thread
1991 8V92TA w/ 4 Speed allison - by Dystrakti0n - 04-01-2023, 05:44 PM
RE: 1991 8V92TA w/ 4 Speed allison - by Fulltiming - 04-02-2023, 02:41 AM
RE: 1991 8V92TA w/ 4 Speed allison - by Richard - 04-02-2023, 04:20 AM
RE: 1991 8V92TA w/ 4 Speed allison - by Dystrakti0n - 04-02-2023, 06:24 AM