You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Problem with towing lights

Hello,
I noticed after we upgraded our tail lights on our coach ( LED lights ) since we did rewired these , now out Tow car with magnetic type lights has only running lights ( no blinkers or stop lights )
I have 4 pin type connector.
my question is, can I just cut the wires open from Coach light cable , it has 4 pin type male plug & one by one connect to the female plug on the tow car's light and trace to get it right?

I am not electric skilled and don't want to burn anything in the coach , but I was thinking that perhaps is how I can match the right wires.
Or , do I have to re wired my car with totally different system.

The way we have had wire the tail light is that all 3 red lights will be on when running and stopping, before I believe it was only two.
Thanks you for any tips you might have.
We want to keep out tow car for long time and perhaps you might have some tips how to wire your car's lights for towing and eliminate the magnetic lights.
We are fultime on the road and i need to fix this problem.

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Fulltime on the road hub base in Montana

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
security system 2 Rhodesians Ridgebacks (Basha & M'Kala)
Nissan Exterra 2007
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Les, I also replaced all of my coach rear lights with LEDs, but I did not rewire them except to identify ground vs power wires. However, I installed wireless magnet LED lights on the tow car using a transmitter that plugs into the coach's 4 pin female plug. This may cost a few more bucks but is a simple solution.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Here's a sample diagram. It may or may not help
http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/do..._codes.pdf
If you happen to be around Harbor Frieght you can pickup a tester for different connections for cheap.

Jimmy

One problem that I ran into and am still looking at involves the "flasher". The LED turn signals that many of us are using includes an internal circuit that is actually doing the "flashing". Before with the incandescent bulbs, the flasher relay in the dash terminal board did the "flashing". It does not work anymore because the LED units do not pull as much current.

There are two solutions: 1) install a resistor to draw more current and get the coach flasher to start working....or 2) Install an LED specific flasher that will work with LED turn signals. I am in the process of trying #2. Will let you know what I come up with.

I am not sure that is your problem...but I suspect that it might be part of the issue.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

If your tow'd lights that may indeed be the problem as like Bill said you need a current draw to make the flasher work, but the stop lights should work. You may have dropped a couple of wires on the process.

Jimmy

btw, when i put the led rear tail/stop/turn on both my newells, i had no problems with the flashers.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom,

Neither did I. But what I failed to notice was that the "flashing" was coming from the lights themselves...not the flasher in the coach. Weird...I know!

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Like Tom, the amber LEDs that I installed works with the flasher as well as the wireless tow lights. I changed the flasher in the dash area to one that makes a louder beeping noise, and I changed out the two solonoid units in the rear electrical compartment that actuate the flash. I am assuming that the amber lights on the coach are also not working. If so, I'll bet this is where the problem is. Lightly tap on them to see if they start working and then replace them.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Chester,

Do you have a picture of the solenoids in the "rear" that do the flashing? I was assuming that the one under the dash was the correct one.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I will post a picture tomorrow, but I think they are referred to a relays.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey