You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tiz the season for radiators
Wink 

I knew the radiator had a weeping issued when I bought #484 in 2021. They gave me a discount of the asking price. 

I would only weep occasionally. Usually only after a long day of driving and not a lot of cool down idle time. It slowly started seeping more.
Then after arriving at the Air Museum in Fargo ND last June it spit coolant for several hours. It lost half or so. I should have opened the pressure cap on the tank. That would have likely allowed the crack, or hole to close up again. Hindsight. 

So I drove from Fargo to Spokane to Tonopah with the cap in place but not closed all the way. No leaks no drips and no temps over 208F.  

My goof friend Ken a 20 year helo mechanic and 10 year automotive shop owner looked it over and passed on trying to R&R the RAD/CAC (radiator charge air cooler)

So in talking with Tom during the slide seal party I got the name of Leo the bus mechanic. (MASTER MECHANIC) no matter what he says. 

He had the RAD/CAC sitting on the floor in less than 5 hours. 

The RAD/CAC are at the local radiator shop being evaluated and repaired. No news yet on that end yet. 

I have attached some pictures and a video you might find interesting. 

Thanks Tom and Leo. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

While your are in there....Richard did this on his first radiator swap out and highly recommended it when I swapped mine out. You will have the best access now as opposed to doing it later. Un-wrap the exhaust down pipe and inspect it for corrosion, holes and cracked pipes.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

(04-14-2023, 03:20 PM)Latitude 28 Wrote:  While your are in there....Richard did this on his first radiator swap out and highly recommended it when I swapped mine out.  You will have the best access now as opposed to doing it later.  Un-wrap the exhaust down pipe and inspect it for corrosion, holes and cracked pipes.

Good idea. 
Thanks.

1998 Coach 484
Cheers.  

You are at the right place, for sure.

Mark and Marian

1986 #125   (left us for a new home in Oregon)
1999 Wanderlodge LX40
1979 Mc 8 6V92
Pace 28' stacker

Regina Beach SK  Maricopa AZ

The radiator and CAC back from the repair shop. 

The foreman doing his inspection. New core in the radiator and some corner cracks welding on the CAC.

Installation started.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1998 Coach 484
Cheers.  

looks like askhim approved. im glad you were able to get it repaired so quickly

say hi to leo for me and to askhim

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Interesting, that radiator has the folded fin design like my new one. Did your original have the folded fin or straight fins?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Serk has greatly improved their service. There was a time they had many issues. I had used them a couple years ago to modify a generator radiator to accept a temp sensor. Slow to return but otherwise they did a great job. Paint, not so much! LOL

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

(04-21-2023, 01:09 PM)Richard Wrote:  Interesting, that radiator has the folded fin design like my new one. Did your original have the folded fin or straight fins?
I’m pretty sure it did. I have to go find photographs of the original back to you.

(04-21-2023, 11:29 AM)encantotom Wrote:  looks like askhim approved.  im glad you were able to get it repaired so quickly

say hi to leo for me and to askhim

Askim says woof 

I’ll tell Leo in the morning. 

we found a broken shock mount we’ll be welding tomorrow. 

tom

1998 Coach 484
Cheers.  

(04-21-2023, 02:57 PM)BusNit Wrote:  Serk has greatly improved their service. There was a time they had many issues. I had used them a couple years ago to modify a generator radiator to accept a temp sensor. Slow to return but otherwise they did a great job. Paint, not so much! LOL

The paint is dark…. But in wiping some oil off I also wiped the paint off with it. 

It did the cooling part well. And it contained all the coolants inside that’s a big change. ? 

Time will tell.

1998 Coach 484
Cheers.