You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1995 Basement AC Compressor replacement

Hi Richard
To recharge them I use the super heat method. It requires a wet bulb thermometer, measure incoming air temp to evaporator, outside air temp, a standard set of service gauges and a thermocouple clamp temp sensor on a Freon copper line. With proper chart, known temps, you can get it spot on proper. I also have a ultrasonic gauge that can determine if bubbles like a sight glass would, but the super heat method is better.
Terry

Terry & Cherie
95 Newell, 45', FMCA Show Coach, Series 60, Allison HT741 4spd, #373

Mui bueno!

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I have installed two of these compressors in my 1993 with Duotherm units. I had to do a slight mod ( drill a new hole in the box for a mounting bolt) I am told that these compressors are very similar to rooftop A/C units.     

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I found this. Apparently there is a new part/model #

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I don’t know if this has been discussed. On the prevost group they talked about the new replacement air conditioners that they are making that will fit in place of cruise airs. These will be coming out soon. The company is Aqua air motor coach products. 954-525-2500. Looked promising for some coaches. I don’t know if these are only viable for classic Newell’s or the 90’s coaches

Johnny
Former   1987 Newell series 60
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

Your voltage drop would be my first concern, I guess you have checked the starting capacitor?

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

I had tried with 2 new start capacitors with no change while on a trip, then installed a hard start kit that I can't remember the name of I learned from this group. The voltage line drop is a clue for sure, if it was a locked rotor it should be a 60 amp spike and trip the panel breaker quicker. Perhaps it is in the thermostat board relay or twist connections, I will get to the hangar this week to see. The Tecumseh Hosier Daddy has posted would be a fit, but since superseded they are harder to find and the new replacement part number for the Tecumseh is rated at a slightly lower btu.

Terry & Cherie

Sound like your on top of it, keep us posted.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Because we are curious, where was the voltage measured with that drop?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

The voltage measurement was at the compressor leads. I went out again with a clamp on Fluke amp meter. Used a heavy gauge extension cord from a 30 amp service plug and connected line voltage directly to compressor leads with a house wall light switch. Bus voltage at switch was 123v. Turned on switch bus voltage dropped to 103v, amp meter displayed 55 amps. Compressor try's to spool, low side starts to drop. Makes sound like compressor is under super heavy load, internal breaker in compressor you can hear click compressor off after about three seconds. Give it enough time to reset and it repeats same. It's not the start capacitor. They are new and a hard start kit was installed also. Same problem before and after these changes, so I am certain I did not miss wire. So, I think compressor has scored from losing oil charge during last blowhole in condenser. Compressor has failed. Even tried disconnecting condensor fan motor to make sure it was not the load hog.

Terry & Cherie