You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1995 Basement AC Compressor replacement

I agree with your thoughts sounds like it's compressor change out time.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Yep.

I tend to overkill on any AC repair because my bride does NOT like to be hot.

Unless it’s new, I would replace the condenser motor while I was in there replacing the compressor. They are the known weakpoint for the Dometic units. They have bronze bearings with no external means of lubrication. Once the bearings get tight, the motor won’t start, the compressor builds up too much head pressure, and the unit kicks off.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Yes, after reading the history on the condenser motors I plan to replace all three. One has a knocking noise as an early warning. If I could find new condenser coils I would replace mine that have been patched. I should post pictures of where they rubbed holes in the pass thru area of copper tube on end galvanized support structure. It’s from vibration and I bet common to every unit. Two of mine were repaired by solder before I bought coach. Then I have had to redo them once, which only just blew again from thin wall in repair area. This time I have cut out the bad and put in a copper elbow. Who ever repaired them before me did a hatchet job and it’s come back to haunt me at 108 degrees , high head pressures and copper lines too thin  wall to safely braze. Silver solder can withstand the pressure, but who ever fixed the area before me must of sanded them to bright copper enough to make the line super thin wall. So, this time, I just cut out the bad. I’ll look for pictures.

Terry & Cherie
95 Newell, 45', FMCA Show Coach, Series 60, Allison HT741 4spd, #373

I started playing around with my middle AC unit which would run for a bit and trip the breaker. The compressor cruises at 18.3 amps. Overall the unit is at 19.9 amps and fluctuates up to 21.5. I replaced the condenser motor last year along with caps on all units. Middle ac had its compressor replaced by someone in the past according to receipts. Is this looking like a new compressor is in the horizon? By the way, the amperage creeps up slowly as the unit runs.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Hard to say without gauge readings. Could be a compressor going bad OR it could be a stopped up capillary tube.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Pressures were within range. I posted prematurely. Should have said, "I'm done with them and will cut a hole in the roof for rooftop air". I can't find any options that won't break the already depleted banking operations. I held out for as long as I could I guess. Thanks Richard! I really do appreciate your help.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

What are the sizes of the compartments that house the old units?

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Jack asks a great question! I am watching with great interest! I have explored using DUCTED mini splits. It appears that the inside units could reside where the current evaporators are.The trick would be having enough room in the basement to meet air flow requirements but I think that could be done. It might require an auxiliary air mover. Air could be drawn in from the side and exhausted out the bottom or possibly out the other side of the coach.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I measured the compartments and they are too small for the condenser to sit. Honestly, I spent hundreds of hours on the internet while going in and out of the house to check the bus for options. I can't do it anymore for my OCD sanity. it's ok. I can't live my life wondering how long the old dometics will run before another failure. I spent almost 2k last year on them with my labor and parts. A roof top unit can be tossed off the top and swapped. I need this to run 24/7 for 6 months out of the year. The one $700 portable inverter a/c died so those are still only good for a year of service at any price. I did buy the extended warranty on it and received something back.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I’m working on my basement AC
And need a fan motor
Anyone have a part number ??? 
Granger??

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper