You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

solar install

We are starting our phase 2 of updating our coach, this will be the installation of eleven 525watt panels to the roof, before I start ordering inverter chargers I want to ask how many times have you had to use 120vac 30amp in campgrounds? The reason I'm asking is I can make 220vac with 2 inverter chargers with only 120ac input BUT it cost more to do it that way, the cheaper route would be one 6000-8000 watt 220vac inverter. As many of you know I have replaced my basement air system with mini split units and they are 220vac. The diagram for it is attached but I have decided to go with 48v inverter rather than 24v as previously discussed.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Twice in the last ten years. Once, cause the campground listed the site as 50 when it was actually 30. The second because that was all that was available. But the coach is a pedestal queen, and Rhonda the planner does not book 30 amp sites.

I think the answer will depend upon where you want to camp. Keeping mind most of the sites you will fit into will have 50 amp service.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I know most state parks in Kansas are 30 amp. Like Richard said, if planned probably would not be an issue. 

Few other thoughts:
Could you just run generator if you HAD TO. Stuck somewhere and no 50 amp. 

Also if you ever sell the coach, would that detract buyers because the way it is limited to 50 amp?

Johnny
Former   1987 Newell series 60
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

Being a newbie to 45' class A and having a 24' class B which was only 120vac 30A I never thought of it but so far everywhere we have camped has had 50amp, now having a 45' Newell has presented more problems than finding 50A. Johnny has a valuable point, it would be a selling feature I would have to incorporate some type of switch when going from 220v 50a to 120v 30A. With 5250 watts of solar and 9600 watt hour of batteries I might not even need electrical service unless its dark.

Gravette, Arkansas

Depends where you park. We've been at a few smaller out of the way parks and state parks that had only 30 amp service.
In Alaska there weren't as many 50 amp sites as down south.
Most state campsites will limit generator hours to a few in the morning and late afternoon. Mainly for battery charging. Most commercial campsites won't allow generator to run unless there is a power outage.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest I woke up this morning with an idea which I think will save money and work just fine. I will buy one 220vac split phase inverter 6000-8000 watts rather than two. I will then buy a golf cart battery charger for the 48V system and use it to charge the batteries from 120ac 30A, the batteries will feed the split phase inverter which will power everything except the dryer and aquahot. I will heat the aquahot with a 8k btu diesel heater, this is not as big as the 50k btu but will get the job done and they are cheap.

I've gotten the electrical demand down by changing out refrigerator (420w), microwave (1250w max), coffee pot (1250w) and the heat air system (4400 Max 1980w normal), long as we respect the the electrical usage and not run everything at the same time the charger should do the job. When plugged into 50A we are good for everything.

Gravette, Arkansas

We camp in every kind of place we find to spend the night, no power, 15A 120VAC, 30A 120VAC, 50A 240VAC. I carry a 50A pigtail to hard wire into a grain silo, welder outlet or whatever I can find. The generator gets lots of use. Most 15/20 amp receptacles are GFI which will trip when plugged into the RV. A lot of Newell's have a spare battery charger which is unplugged as a standby. I'll test it on a GFI circuit today to see if it trips. If it does not trip a GFI that will be a solution for those places. I also plan to use that charger in Mexico where the voltage goes so high the power protection turns it off. Past campers had solar I installed, the last two had 760 watts using 48 volt panels and a Morningstar Tristar MPPT controller. With 4 roof A/C units etc. there is little space for solar on my Newell.

I haven't had Lithium batteries but am considering the switch. I don't see where 2625 watts X2 of solar would be useful with flooded or AGM but I assume lithium can absorb that much? It's a new thought for me to run HVAC from house batteries instead of the generator. My goal with solar was to keep the batteries charged enough to keep the autostart generator from starting when we weren't using much power, mainly in the early morning.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

I have been living well for the last 6 months on a 30A service. Even now with the temps hitting the mid 90's I can run one AC on low and keep mostly comfortable.

It keeps the batteries full (Lifeline AGM's X8) I can't run everything all at once. Thats been of little issue.

My aspiration is a gizzilian watts of solar on the roof and 13kAh of lithium battery bank and a 240 vac inverter.

In the meantime I have a Honda 2000 watt inverter generator that I plan to use as a charge source while boondocking. I don't expect anything more than to charge the battery bank. 50' of extension cord and I preserve my quiet.

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

Jim I'm there with you on lithium but these AGM batteries I have are less than a year old, thought I would use them till they are gone and then put lithium in. The only problem with lithium is they will be damaged if charged below 32F, I have my BMS set to disconnect at 34F which works because I've tested it with the -10 we had last December. When the time comes I will build a big lithium battery for the coach like I did for our home. The beauty of lithium is they have a flat voltage curve all the way to the end, you can use 80% of the amp hour rating and they will charge up very quickly if you have the current available. That being said I only charge our lithium's to 90% and discharge them to 25% this will add years of use to the life span.

TJ I be the Genny pig, with all the roof space I see the coach heat and air system running off the sun while driving down the road. You do have some big aspirations  with 13,000 AH. I'll be  happy with 400 at 48vdc.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Gravette, Arkansas

Jack is your battery bay next to your aquahot? If so you could cut a hole to allow the heat to keep your batteries above freezing. You could also insulate the battery bay.
If not there are cheap 12 volt heaters available to attach to your batteries.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337