You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New(ish) Owners 1991 Newell # 258

My wife and I took over #258. We love it. Right after we bought it, we were driving through down town ATL on the highway, and lost all power, during rush hour. Got towed off to the side of the highway by curtesy patrol. Finally got the generator jump started and was able to start the engine and got us down to Florida, where we discovered the Alternator had thrown both belts. This was our introduction to owning a Newell and we haven't looked back. We replaced all the tires with new Yokohama 16 ply, have worked through a engine compressor failure, which left us stranded in a parking lot, next to the post office in in Panama City, FL over thanksgiving two years ago. We have two large dogs, and are gearing up to do some full time traveling across the US before heading down to Central/South America.

- Marcus G-R

8V92TA 43.5' 1991 Newell # 258 
Toad 2009 CTS or 2010 Subaru Forester XT on a BigTex open trailer.  

Thank you for the introduction

We look forward to meeting you some day.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Marcus, congrats on the Newell purchase. Are you home-based in Forth Worth? If so you are not too far away from me, as I am based in Greenville TX.
You are welcome to stop by any time and I'll have an extra RV spot with a full hook-up in a month or so.

All Newell owners are also welcome too, starting in June or July 2023

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

Howdy and welcome, sounds like you had your share of adventures it will take time to sort everything out but don't feel like the lone ranger most of us have stories of our own.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

(04-26-2023, 08:20 PM)kaptain Wrote:  Marcus, congrats on the Newell purchase. Are you home-based in Forth Worth? If so you are not too far away from me, as I am based in Greenville TX.
You are welcome to stop by any time and I'll have an extra RV spot with a full hook-up in a month or so.

All Newell owners are also welcome too, starting in June or July 2023

Thank you for the kind invitation. We will have to take you up on that. Yes we are in South Ft Worth, off of 20. We are gearing up to leave for Vegas in two weeks, then home for a week, then off to Tennessee, be home for a few days, then up to Newell. So it will be August some time before we are freed up, but I would love to stop by some time!

(04-27-2023, 05:45 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  Howdy and welcome, sounds like you had your share of adventures it will take time to sort everything out but don't feel like the lone ranger most of us have stories of our own.

To be completely honest, the only reason we were able to work our way out of almost all of those situations, is because of the volumes of information that people like you have provided on this forum. Thank you for the welcome, and I look forward to hearing your stories and learning from all of you!

- Marcus G-R

We lived in Crowley for 9 years.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Welcome! Can't imagine losing power in ATL rush hour traffic. 100% agree on how challenging it would be to own a coach without this group. Truly priceless information posted in here by some really great folks.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

(04-27-2023, 09:42 AM)360 Wrote:  Welcome!  Can't imagine losing power in ATL rush hour traffic.  100% agree on how challenging it would be to own a coach without this group. Truly priceless information posted in here by some really great folks.

I am sure I caused a multi mile backup, I'm pretty sure it was a Friday night as well. I do remember being called every name except my given, lots of angry honking. Life lessons, if the amps are reading negative, start the generator and tie the batteries, then head over to the auto parts store.

- Marcus G-R

Welcome to the forum and to the Newell family! Sorry to hear about the troubles you encountered, but what decades of RVing has taught me is that it doesn't matter the age, brand or style... RVs break or malfunction. It's just part of the package deal. Not everyone is up for the frustration or the challenges. Sounds like you have taken them in stride!

Steve and Linda Burleson 
28 years of RVing
Current RVs: 1986 Newell #125 w/2004 Ram 3500
2006 Keystone Raptor Toyhauler 30' stays at the family farm 
Previous RVs: 1989 Rockwood Driftwood 35' gasser
1978 Georgie Boy 28' 

(05-05-2023, 03:07 AM)Burlyman Wrote:  Welcome to the forum and to the Newell family!  Sorry to hear about the troubles you encountered, but what decades of RVing has taught me is that it doesn't matter the age, brand or style... RVs break or malfunction.  It's just part of the package deal.  Not everyone is up for the frustration or the challenges.  Sounds like you have taken them in stride!

Steve, 

I was a c-130 crew chief in a previous life, and I did maintenance retrieval across 5 tours. When things get stressful, I try to take a minute and remind myself, I'm not getting shot at. It is almost as if the sun comes out and the birds start chirping. I look at our Newell like my old C-130 (which was built in 1986, I was built in 1984); If it's sitting, it's leaking, if it's working, it's breaking something/trying to tear itself apart. The upside, is that my operational tempo is much slower these days. In Kuwait, we were dropping a motor a week the whole time I was there. I learned something new every single day, regardless of if I wanted to or not. The coach is the same, always something to learn, always something to fix. Blood Sweat and Tears just makes the view that much sweeter.

- Marcus G-R