You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Ladder?

What ladder do you prefer to keep in your coach?
My 13' ladder isn't long enough for me to climb on the roof. Which thankfully is very seldom, but necessary sometimes.
I have a Werner MT-13 folding extension ladder which takes up quite a bit of room in the basement.
How good are the telescoping ladders like the xtend & climb?
I do need an a-frame or step stool to put up the windshield screens which the Werner worked great for and on the '93 it was tall enough for me to climb on the roof safely.
Thanks!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I carry two. A 12' telescoping ladder that came with the coach and a 6' stepladder. The telescoping ladder works great. I have used it to access the top of the slides. Would need a longer one to climb onto roof. They are definitely a spacesaver. I only access the roof at home and use a 16' extension ladder.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I've had a 12' telescoping ladder since 2009 when I first saw Tuga's at the Austin, TX rally. I got one as soon as I got home and love it. For my coach 12' works great. I also carry a 3 foot step stool, but I use the ladder 95% of the time.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

I carry 2, a 17 ft. Werner which folds into 4 pieces. Yes it is heavy and takes up a lot of storage space, but I'm 76 and it makes it easy to get up on top or clean along the top edge. I also have a 7ft. folding ladder which I purchased many years ago at Campingworld. It is light and folds to about 6 inches wide, so it takes up very little space. It's only good for windows, etc.

Bob & Peg Standeford
1999 Newell #516 Series 60 DD 2 Slides
2004 Saturn Wagon

While driving through Kansas with winds gusting over 30mph I heard what sounded like something hit the roof. So I pulled off on the side of the local road. No shoulder just soft packed dirt that had been rained on a couple days ago. And couldn't see anything loose or missing on the roof.
At the campground I got the ladder out and climbed up for a look. Looks like maybe the tv cables need to be reglued to the roof.
I guess with the gusty winds it started the cables flapping.
That's why I'd like a longer ladder. For the few times I need to climb up there to work on something.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I have the collapsable steps mounted on the side of the coach which works very well. A 3 foot ladder will get you to the first step ok.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
25 ft Haulmark car hauler with Andersen Anti sway
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

I have a 12.5 telescoping ladder from Camping World that is very east to store - not too much room. Only problem is that it is expensive at $270.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I too had the collapsible foot pegs

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

(04-27-2013, 01:51 PM)Yachts Wrote:  I too had the collapsible foot pegs
I added more folding pegs to the one already there and it work great for getting on top. You can not carry anything up with you but it make it simple to get on top easy.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

You guys have 12.5' ladders right? If your coach is 13+ feet, what is the technique for getting on top? Use ladder to get on slide, and then step from slide to top? Should I just get a 15 foot model and be done with it?

thanks,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama