You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thomas Compressor Replacement

Ok, so I've been through a few of these compressors in recent history and at nearly 1k a throw I'm wondering if there is a cheaper and/or more reliable alternative.  On one of the Prevost groups I'm on the prevailing opinion was that most have moved to a California compressor.  Something like this:

https://www.californiaairtools.com/contr.../cat-10tl/ 

Would love some feedback from those who know way more about what we actually need as I get the requirements could be different for us.  Looks to me like they have a few more that are similar tankless units, but this model in particular is the one that was recommended.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Brad,

I like that that compressor already has an air drier on it.

I bought one of these from HF to plug into the engine bay port. It is 5db quieter and is a bit higher PSI.
HF air compressor 
It is way more quiet than the pancake compressor I was using as a backup to the backup.

I've often wondered about taking the pump off and installing it where my current pump is should that one fail.
Has anyone else done this or gone any further than wondering about it?

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

(05-16-2023, 09:59 AM)hbens Wrote:  I like that that compressor already has an air drier on it.

I bought one of these from HF to plug into the engine bay port. It is 5db quieter and is a bit higher PSI.
HF air compressor 
It is way more quiet than the pancake compressor I was using as a backup to the backup.

I've often wondered about taking the pump off and installing it where my current pump is should that one fail.
Has anyone else done this or gone any further than wondering about it?

I like it that you have an outlet in in your engine bay.  I was just talking with someone today about wishing I had a plug in every bay, including engine.  I'm also thinking about carrying a spare of the California I asked about as it's small enough and then in a pinch I could just put in one of my bays that has a an outlet and run my air hose back to the aux port.  Only upside to me doing it this way it would be pretty quiet stashed up toward the front in a bay.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

Larry Brachfeld installed one of the California units some years ago. IIRC he was happy with it’s performance.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I have a California Air tools compressor in my garage at the house. It is been quiet and trouble free. I found a used Junair on eBay that I installed in the Newell. Very quiet . Mine had been used in a dentist office. The seller removed it because they were repurposing the building.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

We really like the Junair, its so quite you can't tell its running till you put your hand on it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

When I bought my coach someone had replaced it with a Makita. It worked great, i swapped it out with a smaller unit that was quieter and very pleased with it. May run more frequent than the Newell setup but only 5-10 seconds at a time.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You guys are killing me with all the pics of bays with an outlet :-)! Love all of these ideas. Had been thinking about the way Andrew's is plumbed as well as if I had a backup on board I could just easily use the quick connect, especially if I had an outlet in that bay. Really need the outlet anyway in case I ever do any cold weather traveling so we could put a space heater in that bay along with a little winter front for the louvers.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

Brad,
Are you saying that you don't have power outlets in your bays?
I am about to order the CA unit, would love a Jun-air but can't justify $1k so I can flush the toilet

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

(05-17-2023, 05:31 PM)Jonestead Wrote:  Brad,
Are you saying that you don't have power outlets in your bays?
I am about to order the CA unit, would love a Jun-air but can't justify $1k so I can flush the toilet

Yes, for sure don’t have outlet in R1 where compressor sits.  I need to take a closer look in R2, but I don’t think I have one there either.  Closest outlet would be R3 next to my steps.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO