You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tube light in bathroom

One of my tube lights on the lave in master bathroom has stopped working. I removed the drawer and on the underneath side of the counter is a plywood block with a metal plate about the size of a silver $. To replace the bulb do I need to remove the plate or unscrew the block? I have unit #516. Thanks for your help.

Bob & Peg Standeford
1999 Newell #516 Series 60 DD 2 Slides
2004 Saturn Wagon

Lift up on the tube and it should come out, it's just sitting in place. Then there is a regular halogen light fixture on the top and bottom.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Hey Forest,
You're right, I think I can fix the top, but the bottom one is down 5 or 6 inches and the hole is to small for my hand. I think I need to take the screws out. I had tried to lift it out before, but it wouldn't come out. It had something on the top end, and had to be just right before it would come out or go back.
Bob

Bob & Peg Standeford
2004 Saturn Wagon

Bob,
Were you able to fix your lights? I looked at mine, but wasn't sure I could with my fat hands. Bottom ones looked like you could just unscrew mounting board from inside bath cabinet to gain access. Top ones look too tight for my hands and no other access. Any tips???

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

what kind of bulb base are they? could an LED be put in them easily?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Looks like it's one of the halogen lights like in the ceiling. LED would be a good change.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

The bulbs are the 10 watt pin based halogens used in many interior fixtures in my vintage coach. The bottom fixture is easily removed from under the sink with the drawer out. The top fixture looks much more difficult to me. It almost looks like the fixture is slightly larger than the access revealed when the tube has been removed. I have changed the bulb in the upper one by grasping one of the pins with long nosed pliars to insert the bulb. I finish up by pushing it in the rest of the way with a vinyl glove covered hand to prevent contact with my skin and the bulb glass. To get an led in there might require removing the reflector, but I am not sure on that. Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

I was able unscrew the base on the bottom one. I found it easier to cut the wires and remove the whole block and fixture, insert new bulb and rewire. none. I couldn't remove the cover from the top one,
so I have one bulb that works, since I don't shave anymore, I think that is enough light, at least for me. These were 10 watt pin based halogens, I had never used the needle nose on one pin before. I have more burned out bulbs, which I'll try this method on. Thanks gang
Bob

Bob & Peg Standeford
2004 Saturn Wagon