You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Body shop man

Since I have the headlights out, I realized the peeling clear coat looks like doggy poop. I watched some YouTube videos and for some reason, I feel like a pro or is it too much knowledge and video confidence says I can fix this? Anyway, I bought some 2k clear coat which is a spray can that has two part mix. You press the bottom valve down of the can using its cap and it releases an internal hardener. No biggie, I can handle this. YouTube university says get some grey 3m scotch pads and start removing the clear. Sounds good in theory but seems I really can't feather down the remaining edge. On top of that, the base coat is all fongoliated from the sun and sanding. I will see if the paint store can mix up some base in the metallic tan for me. I went from backyard mechanic to backyard body shop man. I'm not looking for perfection, just something that won't look like a jalopy. Mirrors and front nose are worst offenders. We do not have the money to repaint this thing so this is the best option to keep it looking halfway decent. Looks like I'll need more than two cans of the clear too...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I have heard about folks who have the ability to just do the clear, I'm not that good.  I re-painted the front of a coach above the windshield 10 years ago, it's not much more effort to re-paint than just doing the clear.  After that one paint job I decided to have the guys in Mexico do my paint and body work when I'm there.  They make it look easy.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

First time I have heard of that stuff, we will be watching.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Start with 325 wet on the clear, then 400 wet. Scotchbrite is not going to give you a look you will accept or long term adhesion. Plus, if yours is original paint, you are working with Imron which is notoriously hard to paint over. If you use the grits I suggest, you can spray over that and not see the scuff in the base layer. Do it by hand, if you see any color in the runoff then stop on that area, you are into the base, and it’s not very thick. Then prepare to wet sand the clear, starting with a 1000 and going to 3000. You will still need to buff with a polishing compound to make it shine.

The issue you are going to run into with the setup you are using and your climate, is the spray is going to dry as it is in the air. You will get a powdery looking finish. I suggest you practice on something else first before you try it on the coach. It is a HIGH price of commitment to rectify badly applied paint. That 2k clear is harder than Chinese arithmetic.

The key to painting auto is in the prep work, and the after work. The painting is the easiest quickest part. And one more thing, with auto paint you cannot cover a surface defect, the gloss only accentuates the imperfection.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

“Harder than Chinese arithmetic” love it!

Honestly, anything is better than what I have. We hate the color now but can’t afford to repaint this thing. I did wet sand with 350 and it came out really smooth. It’s not going to be perfect but more acceptable from 10’.

Weather has actually been nice in the mid 90’s which feels like 78. I’ve called several places on this with no response. I get it that it’s a huge bus and there isn’t much space to work on these.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

steve bares rule.

5ft rule. stand back 5 foot and see if it is ok. if not, apply the 10ft rule. has saved me alot of money.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Base coat on both mirrors. Started getting windy so that's it for the day. No debris in the paint surprisingly. Even so, this should look better than what it was! I'll end up going back to the paint store to get three more mixed cans for the nose. I only have 3 now and feel doubtful it will be enough. Color for the nose is slightly off but not really that noticeable. Again, it will be 1000% nicer looking than what it currently is.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Loooks very nice.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I echo what Richard said… Paint beautifies ———and magnifies!!! If u are painting with a gun choose a slower reducer/activator when temps are above 90. Use an infrared thermometer to find the actual temp of the surface you are painting.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I’m using base coat automotive paint that the shop put in spray cans. They spray a nice wide fan. I will topcoat everything with 2k clear.
Today I worked on prepping the lower front as it too looked horrendous.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312