You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

PS slide #4 problem

We are having problems (recurring) with the PS salon slide. Basically it will creep out within hours OR could be days after changing solenoids.  It has had 6 new ones in 18 months. It also would try to extend when opening other slides. Talked to Newell and they said go to HWH.  We got here on the 23rd and they replaced the solenoid. Said they figured it was fixed due to improper replacement of prior solenoids.  We parked at their facility and opened other 3 slides. Took the toad and left for the holiday weekend (they completely lock down over the weekends - no in or out).  Returned early Tuesday am and slide had not moved for 7 days.  Started coach, put in travel mode and started to bring in rear DS slide.  Saw movement on PS #4 slide.  Got HWH tech over and we brought in slides with more movement on PS slide.  In case, you are wondering, there is no seal on the #4 slide.  The last time it creeped out while operating another slide, it did not stop and rolled the seal out to the point of tearing out the air input line so the seal was removed and the air shutoff to the seal. Anyway back into shop tore apart the slide interior and found a very very small leak at a connection which was tightened. Tested everything good.  Put back together and left for Texas.  Stopped for fuel a fews later and bottom of slide had crept out a couple of inches.  Shut down for the night and as instructed retracted the slide....when retracted and motor stopped it immediately crept out 3 inches all the way around. Next morning when closing other slides that slide crept out to full open position.  I talked with HWH and got slide retracted. We drove back to HWH and are now waiting. They are baffled.  I am beginning to think there is a problem with the manifold...maybe a hairline crack at that solenoid position that leaks very slightly when pressurized or even opens slightly when road travel.  Looking for any thoughts to discuss with them.  Thanks!!

Brandi and Chris
Coach #636
Hot Springs Village, AR

I am not trying to tell you or HWH how to fix this. But I put myself in your position of having very vexing problem.

One question first, when the PS salon is in, to the pins lock at the top? That is a very important point. Because if the pins lock, then they have to UNLOCK before the room can move as you say.

If I were faced with this, some simple diagnostics may help figure out what is going on. One, I am going to label and disconnect all of the solenoids associated with the P side salon. While extending the D slide salon, I am going to see if any of the disconnected leads are inadvertantly providing power to the wrong solenoids.

Second diagnostic. I would disconnect all the hydraulic lines to the P side salon. Put plugs in the line fittings. Leave the fittings on the manifold open. Stand back. Activate the D side salon. Does the P side move? Does fluid leak from the manifold?

If I were on the road and this was making me nuts. I would install isolation valves at the hyd lines for the P side salon, and close them unless moving the room.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I agree it needs to be narrowed down to a electrical problem or a leaking hydraulic problem on the manifold and I also agree that a slide cannot leak out if the pins are locked. Did the slides ever operate normally and if they did then what was done to the coach prior to the problem? Have you had the coach for some time or is it new to you and came with these problems?

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

the slide can leak out at the bottom a little and still have the pins locked in at the top. but not 3 or 4 inches. maybe enough to see it.

and if there was a crack in the manifold, unless it was internal, it would be spraying all over.

you said that the slide seal rolled out when the slide crept out when you were opening another slide. if the pins were engaged, i find it hard to believe the bottom could move out enough to roll the slide seal out. i suspect those pins are not going down. the culprit for that if all else is good is the magnets on the top of the slide are missing or misaligned. in my 02, the slide control boxes in the bay show the status of the slide with leds. there are leds that say if the front or rear or both slide pins are down. if you have those indicators, you could have someone watch and see if the lights for the problem slide are changing when you operate the slides that also have the problem slide move. that would say it is an electrical problem.

i have replaced a number of solenoids on mine and others for slide creep. if that doesnt fix normal slide creep, i would be looking at possibly a bad seal in the slide ram where it is leaking by. just like a hydraulic ram on my tractor if it leaks, the bucket will come down slowly.

richards idea about checking voltage on the disconnected two solenoid plugs..(first check the slide out solenoid when you are operating another one) is a great idea. and simple.

the hydraulic check with the lines off would tell you if it is leaking internally. however since you are at hwh, they should be able to put an inline pressure gauge on the bad slide to see if there is any pressure going to the ram when you operate another slide.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thank you for the responses. The locking pins were down when we left and while the coach sat for 7 days. When ithe bottom creeped out while traveling the pins were down but when I attempted the retract the pins would not engage. The most perplexing fact is the slide does not show the same symptom repeatedly. For example, staying in for 7 days with no movement until another slide is activated. Other times creeping out in a matter of hours after changing the solenoid. The movement after 7 days was with the locking pins in place. I did ask about leaking in the cylinder and was told that can't happen since it was pressurized in both directions when slide is at rest.....not something a geologist would know. The issues are all isolated to the #4 slide. We have no problems with the three other slides.

Brandi and Chris
Coach #636
Hot Springs Village, AR

If you would like some help in doing a few experiments to diagnose this, them PM or email me.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Sorry for the late response.  We went back to HWH in September for another attempt to repair the #4 slide.  After reviewing the problem again with an engineer, he said change out the hydraulic manifold.  They did the changeout in a morning and we stayed the night to make sure everything was working correctly.....finally.  I was frustrated because they just tossed the old manifold without testing/checking it for a problem.  After 2+ years and numerous solenoids, it would have been nice to know what was wrong with it.  We did return a couple of days later bc the hydraulic pump would not build pressure.  After more tests, it was determined the pressure switch had failed.  It was changed out and everything works fine.

Brandi and Chris
Coach #636
Hot Springs Village, AR