You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

What Tools and Spares Do You Carry?

To set the context of the question, a current thread suggesting the carrying of impacts and 600lb torque wrenches has got me thinking.  I'm new to the Class A world, having spent a long time in boats (I'm wrapping up 2 months living aboard while fishing as I write this), less time pulling boats on trailers (42' go fast on 50' Myco), and two seasons pulling a 5th wheel.  I generally turn my own wrenches and pull my own wires when I can but I'm a bit overwhelmed when reading about all the issues that may arise (for instance, while I carried an impact in the trailer, I don't carry a spare with the coach so it didn't cross my mind and I don't have a clue as to how to crib so as to safely crawl underneath).  Our trips vary from several hours between racing venues to an annual loop from the Midwest to the Rockies and down to I-10 to winter back in Florida.

Having set the context, what do you carry by way of tools/spares? 

Thank you in advance for your replies.

R/S,

db

2008 C-15/ZF12
Towing Jeep Gladiator (BluOx/AirForce)

Most are not going to bother with tools to remove a wheel. They will rely on a road side service.

Fuel filters for engine, generator, and Aquahot.
Spare belts for engine.
Height control valves
Bucket of DOT compression fittings
1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 DOT brake line.
Water filters
Pex clamps and pliers
Bucket of hose clamps
Solenoid and valve for hydraulic fan control
2 20 ton bottle jacks
8 x 8 and 4 x 4 wood cribbing
Assortment of crimp on electrical fittings
Assortment of electrical wire.
Spare lug nuts
Spare six pack valves and solenoids
Sequencing valves for Microphor toilets

Voltmeter with clamp on ammeter for both AC and DC

Full complement of SAE and Metric wrenches and sockets
Pry bars
BIG channel locks and adjustable wrenches
Strap wrench for filters
Impact driver
Drill and bits
Assortment box of SS metal screws

And cause I am a wee bit of a nut case
AC gauges and refrigerant
MAPP Torch
Lunchbox inverter welder
Air / Hydraulic 20 ton bottle jack

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard -

This is fantastic, thank you. You list several items that hadn't crossed my mind (and a couple that would only hurt me - unless I am breathing them or coking with them, I avoid compressed gasses!!). Now just to figure out where to put all this stuff (the admiral already took all the drawers in the lav....).

Thanks again!

R/S,

db

2008 C-15/ZF12

Sea Note you'll do well here, with your experience boating and twisting your own wrenches you've landed in a good port.

I carry almost everything Richard does except the welder and air over hydraulic jack which I want for Christmas and I see I need to get a few things more from his list like lug nuts. I did however buy a torque multiplier from amazon which we did take with us but you also must take the correct socket with it, amazing tool for removing tires, which on these rigs takes some thought as not to kill yourself in the doing of it.

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Heavy-Torque-...13d670b6bc

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Ditto Richard’s list (minus one jack) +one HWH solenoid, D2 governor, nozzles for AH, controller for Webasto,  voltage regulator for generator, 600ftlb torque wrench & socket, M18 3/4” impact, & a roll around chair.  Also an extend n climb ladder.

Also, an assortment of bolts, SS fasteners, fuses, relays, terminals, lamps, & switches.  All condensed into one small suitcase size tackle box.

After 15+ years of traveling, you kind of add and subtract items until you are satisfied you’ve covered most all bases with the available space.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Gordon -

Great catch on the ladder - our coach came with a small folding teak table in the space intended for the ladder!  I also love the tackle box idea - nothing worse than sweating in a compromised position while the admiral digs around trying to find a tool or part she doesn't recognize!

I either have or have sourced everything applicable to us on Richard's list (I have Tecma toilets, can't weld, and discussed my aversion to messing with gasses [freon] above), excepting the "Solenoid and valve for hydraulic fan control".  Could someone please give me some direction on these items so I can order them (I am in Key West and will only have 1-2 days to crossload into the coach and head North once I get back to our home port - I have an appointment with Martin Generators in Ohio to see if they can't make sense of my 20kw Kohler generator that runs but doesn't make juice and kicks an EE code - a whole different subject but would be happy if anyone has thoughts).  We have a CAT C-15.

Thanks, very nice to have such a helpful forum (much better than boat/car/motorcycle forums I've joined in the past)!

R/S,

db

2008 C-15/ZF12

https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?t...D+solenoid

This is a twofer. Found this thread by putting hydraulic AND fan AND solenoid into the search engine. The use of AND brings the threads that contain all the words you use to the forefront. Put the words without the AND separator into the engine and you get every post with hydraulic, every post with fan, and every post with solenoid.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Ah, this is why you are a Master Sensei and I am but a humble grasshopper...!

Thank you - teach a man to fish and all!!

R/S,

db

2008 C-15/ZF12

Screwdriver
Hammer
Big hammer
Gorilla Tape
Credit card

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Cell phone & high limit credit cards (some places don't accept all of them), will usually get you up & running again!