You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

24vdc air conditioner

This has nothing to do with Newell but I have seen posts where people are interested in these units and I want them to know what they are getting into. 

We have a 2015 Ford transit van that I converted to a class B many years ago, this is what got us started on camping but we wanted AC while boondocking so we recently purchased this 24v AC unit. The van has a 525W solar panel on the roof, which charges a 200AH 24vdc lifepo4 battery, that feeds a 15000w inverter. It also has a 120vac victron 24v charger for when you are in a campground with power. I toyed with the idea to putting in a 12,000 BTU mini split but there is not much room so I purchased this unit from Amazon which claims to be 12,000 BTU. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BLKS89RX?th=1

It is NOT for people who don't have a clue how to hook up and install, it comes with NO instructions and is just a pile of parts for you to install. I have some back ground on with auto AC and of course what I've done here around our house with mini splits so I tackled the job. You must have AC hydraulic crimping tools to crimp the fittings which I have but its not as easy as you think. The reason for this post is to make sure you don't get caught up in thinking this will work on your coach as they make a 12vdc unit also but it draws 80 amps and I doubt this unit is really 12,000 BTU. I have a problem with the compressor right out of the box it threw a E3 code which I didn't know what it was so after contacting the vendor he supplied me with the error codes and E3 is locked rotor BUT if you tap the compressor with a bock of wood it takes off and works, there are no loose wires so its internal and another one will be here in 2 weeks.  If you do the math a inverter mini split draws less power than this 24vdc compressor, the only advantage to this unit is size.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

I've looked into those but figured they are too weak for a coach. Those can be excellent for a day cab, enclosed tractor or like your use, a van. Having said that, most if not all come from China with no instructions and just a pile of parts. I think I would be doing a roof air if that was my only option! Thanks for the heads-up.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Yes it would be and its noisy to boot but hopefully it will keep us somewhat cool at night.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas