You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New minisplits onboard

Thanks again for the compliments. Coming from yall it means alot

Hank (minisplit sandbagger - lol) not sure how similar our systems/bays are, but if my earlier description wasn't clear, I mimicked the original SCS floor venting and adapted it to the new application. In thru ghe back and out thru the front. Seems to be working well and boondocking (generator heat) was factored in as well. I don't boondocks as of yet, but tried to apply wisdom gleaned from all you real gurus when planning/designing.  I look forward to seeing yours install and hearing about your results

Arch, very nice clean install.

Since I am in the southwest, we sometimes get 110F days and most coaches will struggle with that. When your A/C guy did the calculations, what was being assumed for the outside temp?

Glen, we just need to sell our houses and move to a more moderate climate in the summer!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Glen, thank you. last week we saw 90° and our summers see some triple digits and are very humid. Although not sure this is part of your question, we also saw single digits last 2 winters and this is supposed to handle that too. Ultimate test is reality so I won't have real word data till next year

Simon, not trying to convince you (well kinda) but as stated earlier i think your selling yourself short, you've clearly demonstrated you have the skills and have (re)built a beautiful  coach. My concern is that you cut a hole that you regret later. But, if you decide to sell your house can I have your back yard!?! I made the mistake of showing my wife some pix

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

Nice job Arch! The fabricator did a beautiful job on that duct work! Do you have a good amount of air flow out of the big evaporator? And it feeds the rear as well correct?

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

(06-13-2023, 03:46 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  Nice job Arch! The fabricator did a beautiful job on that duct work! Do you have a good amount of air flow out of the big evaporator? And it feeds the rear as well correct?
Thanks Jack and yes good flow equalized to all 7 ducts, front to rear...two salon columns driver's side plus the added duct  that will be at floor level, one above fridge, one in head and two rear columns

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463

Having KEENLY followed aka pestered both Hank and Arch about the most agonizing details. Who me?

Arch does NOT have ventilation holes in the bay doors like most Newells with SCS units. The only air flow for the unit was through the holes in the basement floor. That’s why he had to use the ductwork for the condenser.

The difference between Hank’s approach and Arch’s approach is that Arch used one 24k evap unit and plumbed it to provide air to both front and back. Hank used two 12k units, one for front and one for back. The air return plumbing is a bit different on the two approaches, but that is the fundamental difference.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I have been through all 4 of my Dometic basement units. Two of them required new compressors. My observations. :
These units are nothing more than roof top units with longer refrigerant lines and separate fans. Gordon (aka) Bestgenman actually used a rooftop A/C and reworked it into a split unit.
My Newell doesn’t have aqua-hot or lp furnaces. It has electric resistance heaters mounted in-line after the evaporators. They are not sufficient for extreme cold weather…. No problem. I have no plans to camp in extreme cold!!!
If I ever give up on the Dometics I will look seriously at mini-splits because without aqua hot or lp furnaces I have more bay space than other coaches. And I really could use the heat feature of a mini- split.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Thank you again Richard for pestering me...oops i meant to say your excellent translation of my lack of clarity. You are absolutely correct that my bay doors are solid with no vents. The original SCS units were vented thru the floor (see pix)
There was considerable discussion about cutting/adding louvers to the doors for exhaust however I was  very uncomfortable cutting those doors...best intentions sometimes don't work well. After noodling on it for quiet a while, the ducting was fabricated and voila, minisplit now breathes like the original SCS installation with benefit of radius to maximize flow. If heated exhaust from minisplit or generator mixing with intake is ever an issue, similar radius duct will fix that easily

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463

I have been toying with the idea again, but They do not make ducted mini splits in 120v at 12k BTU or better yet 1.5 ton. I found a 48v mini split @2 tons but they only have the wall mounted head which I am trying to avoid. Of course I have the other challenge of ducting since my coach doesn't have any ducts in the bays. Love the workmanship on yours Arch. That install is first class.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312