You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How to pressure test coolant system

I have a weird intermittent coolant leak at the top of my S60 engine. It doesn’t usually leak when engine is running. I’ve taken my closet floor up and there are some hoses up there, a few fittings screwed into things and a valve with a knob (like water spigot). 

My big plan was to get a kit from autozone where you put on a special radiator cap and pump it to pressurize the system and see where my leak is. That all went south when I realized I could not fit the special radiator cap inside the little door on the side of the coach. 

Any ideas on how to easily pressurize the system to find this leak?

Thanks
Alan

Alan Johnson
Dallas Tx

Newell #485
1998 2 slides

Alan, You can dry the suspect area up with towels and then dust with white flour. Run engine keeping an eye on the area. If it only leaks after engine shut down, then watch following shutting the engine off. A dark spot on the white flour will reveal the leak.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Rudy,

That is a clever way to detect. I like that.

I’m trying to figure out why it would leak after shutting off. Perhaps sometimes when engine is hot, the temperature (and pressure) goes up for a while because coolant system isn’t running? I don’t know if that makes sense or not.

Alan Johnson
Dallas Tx

Newell #485
1998 2 slides

You can also go to Autozone or other suppliers that have loaner tools.  They have a kit to pressurize the system and usually you see the results quickly or overnight.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Yeah, the location of the coolant fill makes it impossible to use a conventional pressure tester.

I have fought the same issue for years. There are a number of fittings and clamps on the turbo side od the engine that form a small drop of coolant when cold. Dry as a bone when running. Arrrrrggggggh.

I second the flour or white paper towel leak detection systems.

But if you want to pressurize, there is a ready path into the coolant system. Either be prepared with pipe fittings and endure some spillage OR drain the systems and use soapy water bubble detection technology. Look on the back of the radiator close to the lock. The blue hose is a direct path into the coolant system

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I don’t have the results from the flour test yet, but when I was putting the flour around I noticed this valve was very loose. I have never turned it but it easily spun and felt like any packing could be bad.

I can rebuild a home faucet, but I don’t know if this requires special packing or washer (high temp or coolant proof)? So two questions…
1. Does somebody know what this valve controls?
2. Can the valve be rebuilt?

Thank you
Alan    

Alan Johnson
Dallas Tx

Newell #485
1998 2 slides

Alan, a gate valve on the coolant system could be to valve off the supply or return line from the engine to the Aqua Hot Engine Preheat loop. This loop provides engine heat to the AH when driving down the rood too.

If that is the purpose for this valve, there should be another one somewhere else.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/valves...gle+valves

Maybe this will help. You will have to disassemble to see the configuration of the packing.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

i have a radiator pressure test set and it fits in the little door just fine with an extension that came with it.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH