You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Mini splits in a classic coach??? Please read

I definitely like the idea of exhaust out the bottom of the coach sitting parked makes sense, I wonder, would the Venturi effect work with airflow while driving? Ducting out the bottom to the rear??

Mike and Beth Magee 
80 Newell Classic 37’ Cat 3208T
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

If the compressor is running its going to suck air in and blow it out if your compressor is sealed all the way around as I mentioned. Newell basement air systems vent from bottom, my coach had 2 such vents for each compressor.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

[attachment=12021 Wrote:Jack Houpe pid='60030' dateline='1687175316']If the compressor is running its going to suck air in and blow it out if your compressor is sealed all the way around as I mentioned. Newell basement air systems vent from bottom, my coach had 2 such vents for each compressor.

My original system was vented thru floor the same way 
New system is sealed up as Jack suggested and vented same way with no vents in basement doors
I have not driven it since minisplit was installed so no OTR flow data available as of yet

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

Thanks, that looks awesome!!!!! I’m looking forward to getting the parts and setting mine up.

Mike and Beth Magee 
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

Would I need a fan to assist the air through the condenser or would the one existing with the condenser force the hot air through the outlet in the floor of the basement… if it evacuated the heat then I wouldn’t need to make vent/inlet on the door.

Mike and Beth Magee 
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

No with the proper ventilation that I explained you would not need any assistance trying to get air in and out of the compressor, it was 96 degrees in our coach today I turned it on to go take a nap within minutes it was down to 76. Why would basement airs that came with the coach be any different than the inverter mini splits? If you don't have basement air then cut the holes in the floor and isolate the compressor from one side to the other.

Gravette, Arkansas

Jack, Richard, mark, arch, junior, Hoosier, thank you for your input and encouragement, I’m currently building a shop to facilitate the conversion process.
  The balance between the amp needs of the coach Hvac and galley appliance (residential refrigerator and induction cooktop with propane oven and cooktop as backup) and the output of the solar configured with the existing battery / inverter and generator is the key. Not to mention being in harmony with shore power. I see many have achieved that balance. I’m trying to catch up in this 21st century
  The a/c system is the crucial key when driving in hot summer and boondocking, as creature comforts are the goal. I’m sure an automatic generator start to augment the solar needs would be a great addition to the system as well when the solar isn’t able to keep up (when not connected to shore power of course).  Winter time heating is primarily achieved by the 3 propane or the four electric heaters on the coach. That said, hopefully the solar/genset configuration can keep up with wintertime as well.

Hope to see y’all in October. I’ve not been to the newell factory although I spoke with mike Evans who worked there when the coach was built. I told him I wanted to get up there before he retired.

Mike and Beth Magee 
05 Ascender 4x4 toad
(Lol no pun intended)

I've met Mike his a great guy ready for retirement as his old football injuries are starting to play on him like many of us that are of age. The Newell rally will be organized through Newell there are 45 sites available, it's an hour from our home here not that far just country roads to get there. If all else fails we have 15 acres of grassland around our property and we will welcome any of the Newell left overs here, you can run your generator but come with empty black tanks no sewer available. That being said we will probably only go over for a short visit during the days.

Gravette, Arkansas