You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Name is Jeff, looking at Newell

Hello all, my name is Jeff and I am looking at a Newell. I am a current Wanderlodge owner (with 6v92 Detroit) and have been looking for a Series 60 coach and I have always liked Newell. Most of the ones we are looking at are mid to late 90's era mainly because they have the Series 60 and price of course.  Would love to hear any experiences or things to look for. I am fairly well versed in things mechanical, I do work on them and do all my own work. I have a pretty good idea of the things that a coach that is 25 years old needs, but do not know all the particulars of Newell.

If you are interested in my exploits working on Wanderlodges:
https://www.youtube.com/@GinosGarageUSA/featured

Here is a picture of our Wanderlodge

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

I bought our 97 in February, had the chassis inspected and serviced at Prevost prior to flying out to drive it back, clocked 4000miles in 4 days driving without issue. Truly an amazing ride.
Having a BB, you are largely aware of what you're getting into...
This site will quickly become your encyclopedia, full of amazing people with incredible experience and willingness to help
Best of luck and enjoy the ride

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

Hi Jeff,

I lurk on the Wanderlodge forum.

Top line summary in my opinion. The Newells of the era you mention are incredibly similar to WB of that era. Similar running gear, trans, suspension. I think that Newells of that era are not as complicated as the Wanderlodge. Less gauges, less interlocking solenoids, less complexity in the electricals.

Big downside for you is NO documentation from Newell. NO schematics, NO piping diagrams, NADA. Don’t ask me why, I don’t know. 90s with S60 will have either Dometic split AC or SCS basement air. Both will need TLC to keep them going, but it is not impossible.

I have seen your work on the WOG. It would be a short learning curve for you to maintain a Newell.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

hi jeff, and welcome. sounds like you already fit right in with us

here you will find folks who love high end coaches and like to share what they know. many have had or have prevos, wanderlodges and foretravels.

in that vintage of newell it will be no slides and up to 2 slides likely. so it is slide or not to slide.....most of the slide coaches will be front and rear drivers sides....though you might find a rear one opposite. the nice thing about the later 90's is having the choice of finding a bath and a half which darlene and i really love. but some love the rear walk in closet rather than rear bath. personal choice.

my gut says that prices are probably going to start coming down, but i would have thought that last year as well.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks all for the welcome, we have put a contingent offer on the 98 Newell. 
I believe it’s #490, and it’s located in Anna, Tx. 

Is there anyone in the Dallas area that would not mind taking a look at it for us? No worries if not, we are working out the details and we may just fly out so I can inspect it myself. 
Overall it seems that it has been well kept, I believe that it has been sitting for a bit due to the owner having health issues. 

It’s a single bath, we liked the bath and a half models but we have not seen that many for sale and the ones we did see where not where we wanted to be budget wise.
This is a non slide coach, which I am happy about. I am not a big fan of slides, the other half would have like to have slides. 

Too bad that there is no documentation. I guess since they are still in business they are trying to get folks to come back to get service from them? Or maybe they just did not keep the documentation? I would definitely like to visit the Newell factory one day, I would have also have loved to see the Wanderlodge factory when it was still open. 

Here is the link to it:
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1998-Ne...5022812559

Pictures look nice, didn't look at all 205 of them. One picture shows a tire date of 2015 so I'd change the tires before driving it home. But I'm sure you know that. Good luck with it.
If you're looking for an inspector Keith Risch in Nacogdoches is well respected by the Foretravel guys. 936-462-3764

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Welcome aboard Jeff....we are about an hour and 20 mins North of you in Summerfield. We certainly like our coach in the four and half years that we have owned it. , The limited documentation hasn't been too problematic as the Gurus are well versed and are more than willing to help when the need arises! Like Tom stated....you'll fit right in here!

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

(06-21-2023, 05:23 AM)folivier Wrote:  Pictures look nice, didn't look at all 205 of them. One picture shows a tire date of 2015 so I'd change the tires before driving it home. But I'm sure you know that. Good luck with it.
If you're looking for an inspector Keith Risch in Nacogdoches is well respected by the Foretravel guys. 936-462-3764

Thanks Forest, yes the sellers rep told us that the tires were getting close to out of date. We have factored that and most likely needing new air bags into our offer price. Appreciate the inspector info.

(06-21-2023, 04:11 PM)Latitude 28 Wrote:  Welcome aboard Jeff....we are about an hour and 20 mins North of you in Summerfield.  We certainly like our coach in the four and half years that we have owned it. , The limited documentation hasn't been too problematic as the Gurus are well versed and are more than willing to help when the need arises!  Like Tom stated....you'll fit right in here!

Thanks, appreciate it. Looks like there are quite a few Newell folks in Florida. Already I am liking the good feedback and scrolling through posts I can tell there is a good helpful bunch here.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

(06-21-2023, 04:21 AM)[email protected] Wrote:  Thanks all for the welcome, we have put a contingent offer on the 98 Newell. 
I believe it’s #490, and it’s located in Anna, Tx. 

Is there anyone in the Dallas area that would not mind taking a look at it for us? No worries if not, we are working out the details and we may just fly out so I can inspect it myself. 
Overall it seems that it has been well kept, I believe that it has been sitting for a bit due to the owner having health issues. 

It’s a single bath, we liked the bath and a half models but we have not seen that many for sale and the ones we did see where not where we wanted to be budget wise.
This is a non slide coach, which I am happy about. I am not a big fan of slides, the other half would have like to have slides. 

Too bad that there is no documentation. I guess since they are still in business they are trying to get folks to come back to get service from them? Or maybe they just did not keep the documentation? I would definitely like to visit the Newell factory one day, I would have also have loved to see the Wanderlodge factory when it was still open. 

Here is the link to it:
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1998-Ne...5022812559

I am in Greenville TX, not too far from Anna TX.
If you need a company to view #490, please feel free to pm/email me.
But I am no expert on coach inspections, so my view may not be much help.
I bought #701 just a little over a year ago, and I am still learning myself.

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

Hello, my name is David, my wife, Rita, and I currently own 2004 Foretravel U320. We are ready to upgrade and have been looking at high end coaches and are hoping to find something really nice under 600K. Seems like all the Prevost chassis coaches are getting quite old at that price range. That and my wife only likes the Lady Libertys. We have recently been obsessing on the Newell coaches.
We have been RVing for about 14 years, and we’re getting ready to retire, and would like a coach that will take us through our retirement years. I am somewhat capable and have kept the Foretravel running for the time we’ve had it. I don’t believe a Newell coach would be far out of our comfort zone.
At any rate, I’ll be searching these forms and trying to learn things. I have many questions, but I’m just giving an introduction right here.
I grew up in Oklahoma, so I hope that counts for something.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)