You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

"Downsizing" Vintage Newell Purchase

Hi all.  We own coach 717, a 2005 that we have been full-timing in as remote workers for the last 3 years.  We upgraded from a 36ft Country Couch to this on some great advice about drivability and of course 4 slides are amazing to live in.  We are now thinking about buying an rv lot, so we would be off the road for 6 months and have access to a casita.  We have come across a vintage 1987 coach that needs work but is really beautiful.  (We also have a 1989 Land Rover Defender 110 that we sometimes tow - so we like cool, vintage things.). We liked having more freedom in the 36ft to boondock, go down dirt roads, more site availability, but I hated driving that thing in anything other than perfect conditions and then only for 4-5 hours.

I'm sure a late 1980's Newell with 8-10 air bags, 45000lbs and tag axle will drive much better than our 4 bag single rear axle CC but not as good as our 2005.  I would also welcome a less complex setup, more similar to what we had on the CC.  Since we would have 2 coaches for awhile, I'm prepared to invest in upgrades like victron inverter/charger/solar, lithium batteries, induction cooktop, residential fridge, maybe remove propane : basically a baby of the best of both of these coaches.  I've done these upgrades twice now so know what to expect.  What I don't know of are issues problematic to the older coaches (basement air?) and how it will drive and live long term. I have read the 1987 owners manual posted by Mxfram (thanks) so understand most of the systems. I can give up some space and comforts for 6 months (summer in the mtn west) given my ability to access more places and storage at our casita. I also willing to replace systems that could be problematic.  The aquahot on my 2005 went out during covid and instead of wait months for a rebuilt unit $$$$$, I had newell install a new Oasis for less $$$$. However, I'm not going to be replacing diodes on a controller and probably cannot trace that kind of issue anyway, although I guess you learn your coach 1 problem at a time Smile

I will never forget the day I drove my 2005 home 890 miles, sometimes in 40 mph winds in NM.  I would get out to stretch my legs and think, wow this is really windy.  In my CC, I would be frazzled after 2 hours and need a sundowner way before sundown.  I still want good driving but in a smaller (and cheaper) package.  I hope this 1987 can give me the best of both worlds, but will take all advice. 

Thanks in advance!
Mark

2005 Newell coach #717 Detroit Diesel 60 Allison 6 speed "Green Machine"
1988 Newell 40ft tag #165 “Purple Haze”

I have the heart but not the body or I would buy this one just for fun of updating it. Not to far from us here in NW Arkansas.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Air conditioners will require TLC to maintain. Not impossible work, but hard to find someone to work on them if you can’t do it yourself.

It’s a two stroke. Not saying that’s a bad thing, but do some reading so you know what that entails.

Go drive it before you make any decisions, if driveability is your primary goal.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

a few things because you have not given alot of details about the 87.

it is probably 8ft wide and not 8 1/2. easy to tell is if there is a 6 inch piece of glass between the two front windshields.

many were single rear axle, but from your airbag count i assume it has a tag. i have done airbags on the classics and much easier than the newer ones.

ceiling height is another thing. if you are tall (matter of perspective), they are not as tall inside as ones that are a bit newer. so check it out. i am 6ft 2 and my 90 was not raised roof and with a cap on i could hit my head on the roof air vents.

aircon.....it may have basement air or may have roof air. in this case i would hope for 3 roof airs as they are easy and cheap to replace and there are much quieter ones out there now.

it will have a huge propane tank and propane furnaces....it might have an older style boiler heater that is propane powered named primus. not sure what years they used them but they did for a few years till at least early 90s.

the 87 is right before the new body style in 90. probably 40ft if it is a tag. as small as 36 without....i think.

the 8v92 like richard said requires to be kept driven right. the rear mounted radiators with direct drive fans were not the best design, but if kept clean and maintained and you dont lug them down they are great. lots of folks on here with them that can talk about them. i have had one as well in the past. ya have to keep rpms up in the hills. downshift and let people by.....ha

probably has a 4 speed pushbutton air shifter, but mine had a cable shifter.

it will either have a hwh auto leveling system or 4 toggle switches that do it manually. mine had the switches and they were easy and fast.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Richard,
I will definitely drive before I buy.

Sorry should have added the details:
1997 wide body 40ft tag axle with a Series 60 engine, originally was a 8V92 converted in 2001 mated to the original Allison HT740 transmission.
3" receiver hitch used to pull stacker trailer.
Detroit diesel SERIES 60 12.7 500 hp
Jake brake
137928 miles
216 hrs Generator (12kw)
Tires 2022
batteries 3 years old
(3) basement air
liquor dispenser
garbage disposal
washer/dryer
vacuum
New 20g water heater
basement freezer
tool box
Newer paint job

If it’s the one I am thinking about, I would be all over that if I had extra cash laying around!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Do you mean 1987 not 1997? I know of this coach and the owners he goes first class all the way, a great person, mechanic and a member here.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Yes sorry 1987

That is the ultimate coach. Simple systems, a series 60 and a 740. Awesome combination. I saw some pics of that one somewhere.

Mark and Marian

1986 #125   (left us for a new home in Oregon)
1999 Wanderlodge LX40
1979 Mc 8 6V92
Pace 28' stacker

Regina Beach SK  Maricopa AZ

Going to pass on this one. Let me know if you see any 1980's for sale. Love this look!