You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Need help with solar for my house batteries PLEASE

Hey all, I'm not all handy when it comes to solar stuff and I'm not sure there is a solar for dummies book.  Where I live there is no power in my storage lot other than a 110v that I can use to keep a charger on my start batteries.

I'd like to ensure my house batteries are maintained. I have six 8d can anyone advise a simple solar setup that I can use the is mobile. I'd love to roof mount them but I'm just not sure how long I'll own the ole girl.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks gurus

home: Southern California
05 #746 quad slide 2000i, 
Steerable tag 
Detroit Diesel series 60 515 hp
Allison trans

Toad 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond edition 4 wheel drive

Leave the charger on. Set it for 10 amp output. House batts will stay charged.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

What Richard said, just buy another charger and hook to the house batteries.

If you are wanting a solar charge system thats a whole different ball of wax, you will need install a solar cell at least 200w and a MPPT solar charge controller and be able to run the wires down to the house battery.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Thanks Richard & Jack, Would I need to turn on the emergency toggle switch on the dash to connect house and start batteries?

Steerable tag 
Allison trans

I may be missing something but here goes….

If you are limited to 120V then your options are limited. There is not a way that I know of to plug in a coach to a regular 120V outlet.

But if you want to keep a charge in your house batteries…you could run the generator (which will use the charger on the inverter to charge your house batteries). After they are charged, you can disconnect the house batteries by turning the two switches in your battery bay. That way the batteries will not have any draw. Every week or so, turn on the switches and run the generator.

The emergency switch on the dash will indeed connect the engine bats to the house bats, but there is no way a 120V charger will be able to do much with the huge house batteries. In other words, I would not even think about merging the batteries in this situation.

Other gurus, please feel free to correct my thinking.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

We have a 50 amp 240v to 15 amp 120v adaptor (wall plug) that in a pinch you could plug into a extension cord and leave the inverter on charge only and it would keep the house batteries in float. But you can't turn on anything in the coach while its its hooked up to 15am 120v.

I would not merge the batteries from the engine to the house, the contactor draws current and I would want to keep those separated. The merge switch is in case you drain your engine batteries and need to get the motor started in my understanding.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

I should have provided a more detailed explanation.

Using a standard 15 amp 120 plug is NOT going to provide enough juice to charge depleted house batteries. But, if the bank is charge, it will easily provide enough amperage to float the batteries and keep them fully charged.

You should not leave it merged. Here’s why. If you were to lose the 15 amp source, and you are away from the coach, you will return to ALL batteries dead.

Use the charger you already have in the existing inverter charger, of course leave the main battery switches in the ON position.

I did it this way for years. You may have to turn off the electric side of the hot water heater (Aquahot), depending upon how yours is wired. If you don’t want the refrigerator to run, then flip it’s breaker also.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

ok thanks all I will unmerge the batteries, I did just get silverleaf to set up my gen auto start so that if the batteries fall below 11.8 volts to come on and recharge to 12.4.

Thanks for all the help!!

Steerable tag 
Allison trans

Yeah, Newell tells folk to keep them merged. I see no good outcome from that. I do not follow their logic.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

I'll merge mine every couple of weeks. My generator is now on its own two batteries separated from the engine start. I did this to keep a redundant backup once I installed Lithium house batteries. Worst case, I can crank the engine with 4 8D batteries. Boy, does it come alive nicely!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312