You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Ceramic window tint

I have searched and searched but I can not seem to find any information or discussion regarding ceramic film on the windows!?! Has no one done this yet? I am debating between making exterior window covers or installing ceramic film/tint.
There are obvious pros and cons to each. 
Just looking for others opinions regarding such

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

Arch after we spoke I started checking out if it works or not and from this demo I would say yes, if you did it yourself might take some time but you could save a bunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz_MC7SL6hc

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Arch,

This is interesting. No storage issues if we went with this product.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

(07-10-2023, 05:32 PM)Jonestead Wrote:  I have searched and searched but I can not seem to find any information or discussion regarding ceramic film on the windows!?! Has no one done this yet? I am debating between making exterior window covers or installing ceramic film/tint.
There are obvious pros and cons to each. 
Just looking for others opinions regarding such

I have a ceramic film on my windshield. I has cut down on the heat transfer dramatically. There is no tint in this film.

Jack thanks for info, very useful

Hank you're reading my mind...set it and forget it

PMCBR Thax for the feedback. Did you install or have it installed?

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463

Had someone do the install. Given the size and the curve of the windshield on each side he had some difficulty. Mine is a 2005 model.

I went to a Llumar tint installer yesterday to talk with an installer and see products they may have displayed. I showed him pictures of my coach and gave him some dimensions of the windows, described the working area inside and asked for a ROM (Rough Order of Magnitude -25%, +50%) or SWAG (Scientific Wild A$$ Guess) on what it would cost. Just the body windows with CTX was $1,300-$1,600. He will come to my house 7/22/23 to get a look at the job and give me an accurate quote.
I asked about using their Stratos (highest end tint) product and he said it would double the price. There is another product from Llumar in between these two I'll ask about when he does the estimate.
I didn't include the driver and passenger side windows but I will have him estimate them and the full windshield. The windshield will be a tricky install because of the size and curves. I'm interested in the lightest tint available for all windows.
I'll keep you posted on the results.
I'm leaning more towards tint than making magnetic covers. The cost will be at least 50% to 75% more and the advantages with tint are set it and forget it, no storage space taken up either. A downside is no matter how little the tint is on the windshield, night time visibility will be affected. I don't drive at night as much as I needed to while I was working so this may not be a huge detraction.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

Keep us posted I called a local tint guy and he never returned my call so I'll try another, we want the lightest tint also I like seeing out.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

I had ceramic tint installed in the last 2 coaches. It’s wonderful material.

Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty-sold
Foretravel
https://groups.io/g/ErnieEkbergFlooring
Ernie Ekbergs Flooring on Facebook
[email protected]

Wow that's alotta ROM...Buwahahaha
It will be very interesting to see how close to SWAG his actual number is
A couple downsides ive thought about tinting windscreen, especially considering the expense 
1.  Pro: If window(s) was off the coach would simplify the installation I suspect 
Con: if windscreen every needs replaced so too will the ceramic film I suspect, or could the film actually offer some enhancements, obviously it would on interior but probably not exterior 
I've had 2 windscreens replaced this year on my truck. The second time they fried my driverside visor light, which I cannot simply replace that part as it is part of grille/visor setup...well I could but it's almost as expensive as a complete new lightset
2. I think I read somewhere that insurance companies love tinted windows, because they can claim impaired visibility caused the incident

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463