You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Solarification

I believe I have finally finished my solar project. Added another 645 watts of panels on the roof after removing the TV antenna and putting some panels around the roof air. I was blown away at the power output today. Peaked at 3200 watts but we had many high thin clouds. All in all, I spent about 15k on this project. Victron is not cheap but it just works. I have done testing to see if one honda generator will run it which it does in a pinch if the main generator conks out. Victron is adjustable for amperage input so it will not overload a generator, pedestal or a 15 amp extension cord as it goes into assist with power and batteries to keep everything running. Roof air is working well and was a cost effective solution. I will look for alternative cargo bay mounted a/c for the front area. Today I enjoyed the solitude unlit coach. Fell asleep on the couch for a couple hours. Not something I do at all. Felt guilty when I got up at 5pm!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Excellent! Beautiful install! Simon I don't know how you can work in that extreme heat we got home (NW Arkansas) yesterday morning from Surprise AZ and glad to be here. If you don't get your project done by 10am your screwed, if a piece of lawn furniture was sitting in the sun it could burn you trying to move it into the shade and forget bare footing around outside.

We have everything in the garage to complete our solar project and plan on starting on this coming week, I went with a single growatt 8k watt split phase inverter I love the victron but like you we have dumped a ton of money and time into the coach and victron was out of my budget but it is the very best there is. I have a place in mind to set the 140lb inverter but concerned about ventilation for summer use so any ideas would be welcome, the place I would set it is on the wall in the compartment that houses the old inverter and where the generator exhaust pipe go up. We have access to that area beside the refrigerator and thought it to be a good place to bring through all the panel wiring and all the battery wiring is there also, we already have a big hole drilled from behind the fridge to that compartment for refrigerant lines.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Now that's how solar is done, clean and professional.

Rob
2016 Newell #1536

Excellent thread with well executed installs.

I apologize for glomming onto this thread with a little tidbit. As we have traveled through Canada and now well into Alaska, I have leapfrogged with a late model high end coach with a fabulous aftermarket install. All Victron electronics, tons of solar, tons of lithium batteries, plus a pro install job on the wiring. There is a but. I first became aware of their problem 4 weeks ago when they were parked next to me and had all the door open with a fan during a heat wave in Canada. The problem was that the installer had installed a device similar to an auto transfer switch that combined legs 1 and 2 while on the 5kw Victron inverter. It conveniently allowed them to run the roof airs off the solar and batteries. Except it had failed, which interrupted ALL AC power in the coach. No pedestal, no generator, no inverter. I did a bit of trouble shooting to confirm what the lady already knew. I offered to wire around the smart phase selector (hint) switch but she declined saying she was going to get a new one.

They did, and it worked for one camping spot.

This week they were beside me again. Same story. NO power. Somewhat inconvenient since their heater fans run off AC, and they are losing the food in their fridge. This time she accepted my offer to wire around the failed device. That was a bit of a challenge, since there ain’t much in terms of electrical supplies in Healy AK. But ugly as it is, they have power.

My point is that it may be very tempting to employ such a strategy on any high end solar/lithium install. If you do, add some 50 amp plugs and receptacles to be able to manually bypass the switch in the case it fails. Failure interrupts all AC power. No bueno.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Great point Richard! I have two of three AC’s on the inverter along with tv’s and some receptacles. I did add the front 120v compressor too. That said, if there’s a failure, I still have other circuits that go through the main panel. I did not remove the original Newell supplied transfer switch. If the fridge or microwave were to be affected, I would need to pull those circuits from the inverter sub panel and put it in the main panel. I have a 3/4” conduit between both panels for such emergencies. Also I specifically installed the equipment in the air conditioned area of the coach. I figured heat will reduce the life expectancy of this or any system. For the batteries, I may install a 5kbtu window ac ducted thru the floor if need be. Surprisingly, the lower compartments are holding a decent not too hot temperature as it is.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

(07-11-2023, 10:22 AM)Richard Wrote:  My point is that it may be very tempting to employ such a strategy on any high end solar/lithium install. If you do, add some 50 amp plugs and receptacles to be able to manually bypass the switch in the case it fails. Failure interrupts all AC power. No bueno.

I would think tying both 120v legs together a major BOOM BOOM if that contactor fails while hooked up to the grid. I like your idea of a manual plug and socket you can bypass plug and unplug if your inverter goes out that is the safest way for sure. How is the generator tied into the main system, does it go through the contactor in the back?

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

The original ATS was in place. i felt the same way a out tieing the legs together. I think the folks in the example will prolly add a second inverter as a long term solution.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Jack, 

If yours is like mine. (#500)......The generator has a 6/4 wire that runs inside a steel framing member from the front of the coach back to around the drive axle.  From there it winds around underneath the coach above the drive axle and tag axle on the passenger side.  Then it goes across the coach to the shore power bay and into the transfer switch.

I also have added some inverters in the bay in front of the aquahot/generator exhaust bay.  

I PM'ed you with some of what I have done if you want more specifics.

I have been looking at the Victron Energy - MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 2x120V It has passthrough, it joins L1 and L2 when shore power is below 50 amps. If the house loads are less than available shore power then it charges batteries. If the house loads are greater than available shore power then it adds in the battery.

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

My Quattro works in similar fashion. The only issue I have is figuring how to get it to charge the battery bank at night when solar is out. Otherwise the assist function is amazing. I can run three ac’s with the help of a 15 amp Honda generator if need be! Of course I would use the coach generator as main power supply if there’s no solar, shore or battery power.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312