You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fixing as I go...

Steve,
You're drinking from the fire hose in problem solving right now.
My thoughts are once you've worked on something to fix it, you're now more in tune with that one thing and will learn how it fits into the big picture of your rig. If any of those 'one things' occur while on the road you will have at least had some experience with it and be able to fix it with less stress.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

(07-15-2023, 04:13 PM)hbens Wrote:  Steve,
You're drinking from the fire hose in problem solving right now.
My thoughts are once you've worked on something to fix it, you're now more in tune with that one thing and will learn how it fits into the big picture of your rig. If any of those 'one things' occur while on the road you will have at least had some experience with it and be able to fix it with less stress.

I truly laughed out loud at your "drinking from the firehose of problem solving".  Excellent description!  Haha.  And I wholeheartedly agree.  My brother, rest his soul, was a mechanical genius, but I didn't get that gene.  I am a tenacious problem solver, however.  Between the previous owner and the many gurus here who have already encountered similar issues, I'm pretty sure that most issues can be sorted out.  I did take a significant amount of tools with me on the last two trips, knowing that these are going to be more like "test runs".  I've decided that I will be keeping a significant set of tools in the coach at all times.  Being on the road and knowing the right tool is at home is an aggravating thought.  Lol

Steve and Linda Burleson 
28 years of RVing
Current RVs: 1986 Newell #125 w/2004 Ram 3500
2006 Keystone Raptor Toyhauler 30' stays at the family farm 
Previous RVs: 1989 Rockwood Driftwood 35' gasser
1978 Georgie Boy 28' 

These guys have all the Stone Bennett parts. I sent my shifter in for giggles to have it looked at even though it worked fine. They rebuilt it for about $1000. I did order a spare shifter with display since these things seem to be harder to find. I was all in for just over $1500 with the spare part. Give them a call. Super duper helpful people.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...i=89978449

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

(07-15-2023, 07:08 PM)BusNit Wrote:  These guys have all the Stone Bennett parts. I sent my shifter in for giggles to have it looked at even though it worked fine. They rebuilt it for about $1000. I did order a spare shifter with display since these things seem to be harder to find. I was all in for just over $1500 with the spare part. Give them a call. Super duper helpful people.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...i=89978449
Thank you!  Much appreciated!

Steve and Linda Burleson 
28 years of RVing
1978 Georgie Boy 28' 

The shift control in my '86 is different to what you have , but probably functionally similar.  I sourced parts for the shifter at the trans from T.H. Anderson as well . Contacts , etc , which activate the leds.  The interlock system ( prevents starter operation in gear) is under the dash , consists of relays ( 2 , I think) . There may be a schematic in the manual or other literature that came with your coach . 
Before I replaced the contacts I had a situation where I would have sworn the neutral light was on when shut down.  On start up , the D light was on,  starter locked out . Had to move the shifter lever at the trans to get going.
The remote start is in rear passenger side compartment , follow precautions carefully if you use it .

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Wow, your shift control is completely different than mine, though serving the identical purpose. What a difference a year makes. Unless the side panel itself was replaced,. what I have seems to be original to the coach, as there are no other cutouts or screw holes.

I already sent an email with the picture of my shift unit to T H Anderson, so I will await their reply. At least if this happens again, I'll be prepared to put on some grubby clothes and go climbing underneath and know what to do.

Funny you should mention the remote start. I didn't even realize it was there until I started snooping around for answers on a previous issue. My father was a charter bus driver for 25 years and I remember him having this function on his commercial buses, so I tried it a few days ago (followed the precautions as you mentioned) and it worked like a charm. I soon discovered that it needed the key inserted in the ignition to actually be drivable, as the signals would not work without it. When I shut it down at the key, I also realized that it was still running until I killed the engine from the remote location. A short but interesting learning curve.

Steve and Linda Burleson 
28 years of RVing
1978 Georgie Boy 28'