You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

18000 mini split in 596

Got my Mini Split up and running yesterday. It replaced the SCS unit for the rear of the bus. Used a Senville unit medium Static . I wanted to use a high static concealed duct unit
But it is larger and I didn't see a way to make it fit. The air output at the ducts seem a little weak so I ordered a 6X12 rectangular duct fan. The unit cools the coach like it is but I think it will be way better with the fan. The duct to the rear of the coach is way undersized.

Attached Files
.pdf IMG_4226 2.pdf Size: 18.28 MB  Downloads: 49

Rolleyes David Augspurger #596 2001

Are you going to mount the condenser unit outboard of the evap unit on the driver side?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Yeah the condenser is in there just didn’t get a lot of pictures

Rolleyes David Augspurger #596 2001

Your going to really like the mini split, our 18k btu may have been a bit overkill but it will take the bedroom from 101 degrees to 74 in less than 20 minutes then ramp down, I know this for a fact as I turned it on yesterday just before my nap, I take a nap everyday about 1pm and thats the time ups shows up at the house so the coach is the quite place. Its wifi also which really is a nice feature.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Jack, I didn't see how you did that rear unit. Looks amazing!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Bravery dude Kathleen said make it work and I listen  Big Grin , I just cut the valance out for the mini split evaporator and ran the lines behind the valance and down on the left side and then into the cabinet then through the old ductwork to the front of the coach.

Simon have you ever seen the Midea 12k btu heat pump inverter window unit? Since you so limited on space you might want to look at this unit, we own one in our second bedroom and its powered by the solar system on the pergola in our courtyard, its for guest who stay in that room but after looking at it you could separate the front from the back splice in a few wires and re connect the refrigerate lines to make your own split unit. They are cheap! $499 at home depot. Sorry for the thread drift.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

I didn't bother checking into it too much mainly since those units use either R32 or R600 which is not readily available.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Uh. R600 is available at any camping store.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

David,
That looks great, looking forward to more pictures.
Welcome to the club. I too have noticed the minisplit rear air volume is less (hand over the vent measurement) than the SCS, but it is doing what it is supposed to and doing it quite well. I also figure between all the glass and ingress/egress traffic the front needs more air than the rear.

Jack,
I hadn't really seen your rear install either, I thought I was on the valance, but these pix really show how well you "listen". We should all be taking notes

Simon, 
I have thought that "making" your own system as suggested would be a great option to consider. Obviously I went a different route but i also do not have the space constraints that you do.

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

I'm interested in your results of the inline fan installation. I want to increase the airflow to the rear.
I added more duct to the front and the cooling affect was better by a few degrees. The ducts I added were the aquahot ducts under the cabinet below the salon window. These vents are just above the floor and in close proximity to the return air in the steps so they aren't the most efficient in cooling the salon. I doubled the square inches of vents by doing this.
I am convinced I need more airflow through the rear cassette. I'm mulling over how to add ducts and this inline fan may overcome the need for adding a duct all the way to the rear.
My mini split is a Pioneer 20kBTU unit with dual 12kBTU cassettes.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile