You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

amana fridge replacement

Here we go again   original amana fridge side by side has finally died. Tech says evap is leaking so guess I have to pull it out, no parts aval. . So question is, anybody done this just recently ? Happen to know of a particular model number and maker of a fridge that will fit in thru the door of the coach ?  coach # 480.  side entry door...  Hoping Richard has had to do this and will have some input. Been looking thru the threads but never found anybody who has kicked out a model # and manufacturer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Did find some info that people were saying to remove the drawer assy under the fridge and set the new one on the ground, anybody tried this yet ?

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides
Detroit Diesel  series 60   turned up to 745 hp  

I took the doors off, pulled it out of the hole, laid it on a dolly, rolled it to the door and flopped it out of the coach. The new one I put in is a Fisher & Paykel 32" wide by 67" tall. I do not remember the model but if you google that dimension it will pop up several flavors of it with either handles or none, ice maker or none, bottom freezer, top freezer. All of that particular one being 32" wide by 67" tall and counter depth. I had to make two piece of filler to close the sides and had cabinet paint to match the laminate. I love it and looks fantastic. Your mileage may vary depending on cabinets you already have. I should note that I did wedge in a piece of wood at the top of the fridge to the upper cabinet and both bottom adjustment feet, I drilled a hole and fastened them down to the bottom cabinet floor with drywall screws. (After I made level adjustment) I went ahead and fabricated a spring loaded door locking system to keep the doors from flying open on my drives.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Adam,
I got a refrigerator repair person to come out and repair mine. I told them I would remove the appliance so they could get to the back.  My Amana refer sits on the floor in my kitchen slideout. I got some 2" by 10" boards and laid them on the floor. I put a couple of sheets of plywood on top of that, so that the wood platform was even with the slide out floor. I released the refrigerator wheels and the hold down brackets in the top. I then rolled the refer out onto the platform and turned it slightly, providing access to the back. I removed the bottom rear cover and cleaned out the dust. I always clean from the front, so this is the first time I could get the back. I checked the little fans to see that they were operating.
The repair guy came out, installed a refrigerant fill port, found the leak and silver-soldered it. Then he refilled the refrigerant. He charged about $300 from my recollection. This was in Montgomery, Alabama in 2021. It has worked ever since (fingers crossed).
Just my experience. Hope it all works out for you.
Regards,
Bob

Bob & Dottie
Newell 1261 & Jeep Grand Cherokee fulltimers
Past Teton Reliance 45'  5th wheel
Custom Volvo VNL780 tow vehicle
2014 Smart car

Adam,

I did replace the Amana in 390 when I had it, but that was ten years ago, so even if I remembered the model number it wouldn’t help you. First thing to tell you is you are looking for a counter depth fridge.

Jack Houpe may be able to tell you what models are now inverter driven compressors which would be more energy efficient.

You have to build a platform to roll it out on. Take the doors off to get the old one out and the new one in.

Measure measure measure.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

This is what we went with we choose it because of the amount of energy it uses (1.1kw per day) and the price, some of the other refrigerators started at $3k.  Its very quite and smaller but we don't full time so its perfect for us. Remember to take the panels from the old Amana front doors and save them, I used the old panels to make a door next to the refrigerator that we store broom and other items. I also 3d printed a lock for the doors. Looks like the one Simon bought draws about the same amount of energy. When the old one kicked on it drew about 10 amps this one draws 3.4 amps.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool-24.../312841886

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Tom can give you more details but we were in Canada with them and Clarke and Elaine when his fridge went south. He found one in Calgary. Mind you this was during the aftermath of the big flood and there were very few fridges available anywhere in Canada. We manhandled the thing with help from 2 guys who owned the campground. Basically as others had done, built a platform to slide it on then slid it to the door.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I used a harbor freight four wheeled flat furniture dolly. Worked great as a platform. Added some wood on top to make it level with the fridge cabinet floor.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Adam,
We don't need it yet but have our eyes on a "counter depth", Samsung, inverter technology refrigerator. It is the exact size of our Amana with the two bottom drawers having a lock built into the handles that release when you pull up and out to open the drawer. The two doors will need something like what Simon or Jack made up.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

I bought a SubZero 700TCI but have yet to install it. It is a built in (counter depth) so will clear entry door but I have to remove the drawer (to mount to floor) and modify cabinet as mine was originally built with 24" norcold rv fridge.

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

Steve,
What model number are you looking at?

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531