You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

#744 Radiator Build Information

Looking for information on the radiator installed in my coach with a C-13. Factory can't give me basic information. Not many C-13's out there, any info would be appreciated. 

Richard gave me info from Atlas Radiator and I even spoke to the owner Larry Frederick. He's unsure if his radiators were used in the 2004-2005 builds, thought that was the timeframe when Newell sourced another supplier. 
It would be nice to know if the radiators were standard sizes or if they were sized to the engines of that era. D-60's, C-13's, then C-15's. 

My problem is high coolant temps. In my discussions with radiator shops they suspect build up in the radiator. I'm going to drain the coolant and attempt to place a camera in the lower pipe. not sure what I'll see. CLR makes a radiator flush, I'm considering trying to fill the radiator with the solution and hopefully dissolve any buildup. 

If I replace the radiator I'd like to take the route Richard did with the TSM Ultra-Fused technology. The radiator will need to be removed and measured by the radiator shop. I will be using Bixby Radiator near Tulsa Oklahoma. 

Appreciate any info, take care.
JK

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

For a flush my mechanic recommended Fleetguard Restore Plus if you’re trying to remove scaling, buildup, etc.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

(07-30-2023, 03:29 PM)360 Wrote:  For a flush my mechanic recommended Fleetguard Restore Plus if you’re trying to remove scaling, buildup, etc.

I used the Caterpillar recommended flush which may be similar.  I'd like to fill just the radiator then flush and keep from circulating it through the engine. I'll take a look at the Fleetguard.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi

Flush the whole system. If the radiator is having build up, so is the rest of the coolant system. It ALL needs cleaned for the most effective cooling.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

It would be nice to see a flow diagram of the engine, we know that it goes into the aqua Hot and back out again but where does it end up in the engine on the input of the radiator or back into the block of the engine. I know it might sound crazy but you might get a radiator hose clamp and back at the aqua Hot clamp off the in or the out back to the engine.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

I would think flushing the whole system would be what you want to do.

Given Newells propensity for trying new and different things. The issue might be that the heat exchanger is too small for the btu output of the C-13.

Have you looked into calculating the size you need?

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

I would Flush the entire engine. Wash the
Radiator and change thermostat

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

Changed regulator/thermostat, thoroughly washed exterior of radiator with SimpleGreen Extreme and Dawn HD. I have an appointment with CAT service facility to check coolant pump and associated systems.
A flush is the last step for improvement before a new radiator is needed. I wish Newell could tell me where the sourced the radiator when the coach was built in 2004.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas

J K, if you end up needing the radiator repaired or, more importantly, replaced, you might call Atlas Radiator in Corpus Christi, TX.

361/882-5661

They can build any radiator you specify. They have the dimensions for Foretravel radiators and might have them for Newell. A call will let you know what they can do for you.

All the best getting this done.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Has this problem just started or has it been there since you own the coach? What modifications were made and does any timeline coincide with the overheating problem?

We live 17 miles apart if you ever need any help.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas