You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

What to buy?

I’m not sure how to ask this question so I’ll try it this way?

If you find a well kept 2000 Newell with all its records, it looks great and an inspector gives it a thumbs up. Is there any reason to look for something newer?

I just started looking at 2000 to 2005 and is there a reason to look for a specific year? Or is newer generally better? Better engine, transmission, known fault corrected etc.

2022 Columbus River Ranch 392MB
Previously owned: 1991 Prevost Beaver Bus

(08-03-2023, 03:04 PM)Kapstan Wrote:  I’m not sure how to ask this question so I’ll try it this way?

If you find a well kept 2000 Newell with all its records, it looks great and an inspector gives it a thumbs up. Is there any reason to look for something newer?

I just started looking at 2000 to 2005 and is there a reason to look for a specific year? Or is newer generally better? Better engine, transmission, known fault corrected etc.
Great question with no good answer, IMHO.  Newer is wonderful but parts availability/obsolescence is always tricky and the more electronics play into the picture the more difficult the newer machines will be to maintain.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Hi Jim, And yes, you hit on it exactly. Every year there are electrical, electronics and other technologies. Prevost went from the Detroit 8V92 to the Detroit Series 60 in 1995. That was a big deal… The older coaches are still supported today with the 8V92 engine but mechanics are not out there like they used to be. 

If you were looking for a 1990 to 1995 Prevost, knowing of that change is a big deal.  There’s a cost to benefit going up in years for sure. But is there something a potential buyer should know?

Anything like that with Newell from 2000 to 2005 that one should be aware of?

I think you need to take into consideration 1) budget, 2) intended usage (full time, part time, or occasional use), 3) level of importance of coach style and amenities, 4) the difference between what you want and what you need for your intended usage. There's probably many other points to consider but those came to mind quickly.

I was looking at a mid-90s coach in good shape that worked with my budget, but I ended up with a 1986, as it was a fraction of the cost and may not have had the interior level of styling that I would have preferred, but it was totally functional and had been gone through extensively. It wasn't everything I wanted, but for the 12 weeks out of the year I will use it, it's everything I need.

Steve and Linda Burleson 
28 years of RVing
Current RVs: 1986 Newell #125 w/2004 Ram 3500
2006 Keystone Raptor Toyhauler 30' stays at the family farm 
Previous RVs: 1989 Rockwood Driftwood 35' gasser
1978 Georgie Boy 28' 

Hi Steve,

My budget is around $200,000
My usage is Full time for two years and maybe 10 t0 15,000 miles.  Occasional use after that.
Style and amenities 45' with 3 or 4 slides - apposing couches (one that sleeps 2) - Bath and half with window in each - King bed on park side (not deal breaker) - washer & dryer -  decent size dinette (chairs or booth) - Subdued interior without a lot of mirrors and glitz (not a deal breaker).

I recently owned a 91 Prevost Bus for 4+ years with no slides or W/D etc.  My new fifth wheel has 5 slides and a lot of room with 540 CF of basement space.  It's great for what it is and we've been very happy with it.  My wife and I decided for the traveling we'll be doing and the miles we'll put on, we should do it in a diesel pusher.  

I hope this helps

Hi Kapstan,

Thanks for dropping by. Your questions and concerns are good ones, and the answers may depend upon your intended use, your ability to address mechanical and electrical issues on your on, and your tolerance for the care and feeding of a 20 year high end motorhome.

You will find that others have delved into these topics at great length. There is an entire section of threads on the forum on topics that pertain to what to consider if buying a used Newell. It would be good reading for anyone contemplating dropping 200k.

You may have to alter your wish list a bit. Two couch Newells exist but they are not the norm. I know because we are two couch people. And windows in both bathrooms is something I have not seen. Most bath and half coaches have a window in the half, but the rear is totally enclosed to maximize wall useage.

When you do your research in the buying a used Newell section, you will be looking for the change in engines from DD S60, to Cat, then to Cummins. You will be looking for the change to ZF suspension. You will be looking for the change from HWH to Valid slides. All of that you will find has been nicely detailed in the buying a used Newell section.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Newell doesn't make changes at model years. They make changes continually. Additionally, since most coaches are custom built for a specific customer, no two coaches are exactly the same. However, in general, 2000 was primarily 2 slide coaches with some 3 slide units in the second half of production. 2001 had more 3 slide than 2 slide coaches with a couple of 4 slides at the end of the model year. 2002 was a mixture of 2, 3, and 4 slide units. 2003 was primarily 3 and 4 slide with some 2 slide units.

During 2003, Newell switched from HWH hydraulic slides to Valid electric slides, which they still use today. I believe all coaches after #649 have Valid slides.

Most of the 2000-2004 have the Detroit Series 60 engine and an Allison 6 speed transmission. Most will be mid-entry although a front entry (#606) was built as early as 2001, it was 2006 before front entry became common. #670, a 2003, Newell changed from DuPont Imron paint to Sikkens (VOC's).

2004 saw the introduction of the ZF suspension with the steerable tag axle (#671, 685, and 697 on). This suspension is still in use today although with additional features and enhancements. Your desire for a bath and a half will be more limiting the older the coach. Most of the 2000 year models had a center bath (at least 6 had the rear bath with a mid 1/2 bath). Just under 1/2 of the 2001's had the bath and a half. Over 1/2 of the 2002's and 2003's had the bath and a half. 2004 still had a large number of single bath coaches and some center island bed coaches which had a split bath with a vanity and shower in the rear and a vanity and toilet mid coach.

Hope that helps.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thank you Richard, I’ll check out the buying a used Newell section for sure. I probably should have started there and recognize it’s a great place to learn and get many questioned answered. Thank you again for your reply. 

Hi Michael, We must have been posting at the same time. That was terrific information and exactly what I was looking for. The “why you may want this over that by year!  Too much for me to absorb before bed. I’ll call it a day and respond more tomorrow. Thank you so much!