You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New Radio

Gang,

I spent the day replacing the radio in my coach. The old unit was a Sony that had a CD changer, XM receiver, and of coarse the radio. I wanted a new radio that was easier to use, and that had the ability to interface directly to my iPhone.

When I looked closely at the dash, it turned out that the old radio mount was broken and flimsy and needed to be reinforced.

The new radio is a Kenwood KDC-X997. I also bought an external amp and the associated SiriusXM radio receiver.

Wow has technology changed! This new receiver has about a dozen different sources of music / talk. (FM, AM, FM digital, iPhone via USB, Bluetooth audio, Pandora, AHA radio, I heart radio, CD, ...)

I used the rear USB connector to run to the co-pilot armrest so that anybody riding with me can control the music and charger their phone.

The install went about as expected. I pretty much used the existing wiring but had to run a power wire for the amplifier. The sound quality is far better than the old Sony and the new system is far more flexible, yet far easier to use.

I cant wait to show it off in SD.

Cheers,
bill

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

That is one of my future projects. I look forward to seeing your install.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

i did something similar and also found the mount to be broken.

i didnt put a separate amp as the current amp technology is actually quite good. and those speakers that i have are not needing any more power.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I have a very nice pioneer avic unit that is combo nav and stereo. It was horribly expensive when new, but is now totally out of date. My iPhone has better nav. The new units link so seamlessly that it makes sense to put a new unit in.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Are there any radios that have buttons or dials that my big fat fingers can work easily? Especially when I'm driving?
How about a display that is easy to read?
My radio has a cassette deck. So I guess I should plan to replace it some day.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

This one is not the one. It has tiny buttons and the display is not that bright. I am a little disappointed by the display, but really like how this radio operates and sounds.

Another good thing about this radio is that it has a really big and easy to use volume knob.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

forest, use the remote. you can hold that up to your face

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Never thought about that Tom! I have always wondered why you need a remote for a car radio. The old radio had a remote "stalk" that was supposed to be used by the co-pilot. I have never seen a more poorly conceived device. How are you supposed to use a remote like that when you could not see the screen?

But with the new radios that have IR remotes, you can get a programmable remote with any form factor you want and have it change the radio. Genius!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I have a remote that is designed for the steering wheel. Works great

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Now that might work Richard. My dash design puts the radio down low where I can't see it. What brand?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337