You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Rariton water heater

Has anyone added a valve to regulate the engine coolant entering the rariton heat exchanger? After a drive, the water is scalding hot. Now that I have the coolant out of the bus I was contemplating adding a couple of shut off valves. Heater is Tee-d off a branch that continues towards the front of the coach. I was going to put the valves next to the water heater in-line with the coolant hoses.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Simon,
Seems like our Aqua-Hot temp gets around 170-172 just off the engine.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

You can put a bypass valve between the inlet and the outlet and regulated that way plus shut off valves is a great idea. I need to purchase some brass fittings and replace the plastic ones I used when I installed the flat plate heat exchanger.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

I didn’t think about doing a bypass type valve. When I look online most seem to be made of nylon impregnated plastic or thin soldered metal. I have trust issues with those. I will just put in two globe valves ($90 each at Grainger) so I can leave them partially open. If the water heater fails, I’ll just leave the valves in the off position and put in a standard 120v residential type heater if the Rariton ends up costing an arm or a leg. I need both my arms and legs unscathed.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Yes these old coaches eat hundreds like popcorn in a movie theater.

Gravette, Arkansas

I had installed a 20gal residential 120v in prior coach rather than messing with propane and it worked great. Had thought about doing the same thing in the Newell but Richard and Jack have all but convinced me to do the triple walled double plated heat exchanger on top of the Aquahot which seems aquacool (for electric showers anyways) 

Also considered this one as I've seen it on many Prevosts and marine applications 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/392521540633?mk...media=COPY

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

Wow that is a good price Arch. The flat plate heat exchanger is a big plus for long showers, people who have hair can enjoy washing it without worry of getting a wake up call. This is not my problem. Smile

Gravette, Arkansas

That is an excellent price! Thanks for the link! I saved it in my list for future reference. Mine doesn't use propane. It's 120v with an engine coolant loop as a heat exchanger. I like having engine supplied heat so when I get to a destination, I can take a shower. (1-2 shower a day kind of person) The engine supplied heat makes the water scalding and pretty much unusable right away. It also causes the T&P valve to dribble from the increased pressure created. The valves came in and I am waiting on the non barbed hose fittings. I do not like using those multiple barbed fittings as they chew the hose but instead the kind that have a lip on the end to keep the hose from blowing off when clamped. Unfortunately like anything these days it is a waiting game to get parts.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

(08-09-2023, 05:33 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  Wow that is a good price Arch. The flat plate heat exchanger is a big plus for long showers, people who have hair can enjoy washing it without worry of getting a wake up call. This is not my problem. Smile

Jack,
Not my problem either!  However, if our wives run out of hot water it will become our problem very quickly....just sayin:-)

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Amen to that Steve.

Gravette, Arkansas