You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

SCS Basement Unit Repair and Mods

So I got all the relays wired up today and installed the new thermostat. Then was able to do a test run. I did a short video of the test run and I will post it once it’s loaded up to YouTube. Do t pay attention to the wiring it’s not managed yet, just temporary as I am planning on pulling the unit back out to finish up the work. 

Here is the short video showing the first test:
https://youtu.be/ZPUoWyinJA4

Here the relays are all installed:

This is from the thermostat app on my phone:

Here is the new thermostat:

Here is the rats nest of wiring, as I said this is temporary, I will clean things up and manage all the wiring with some zip ties and the wire nut is temporary as well. Never use them in a mobile application:

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

Sweet! Great transformation.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

(08-12-2023, 05:36 PM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  Sweet! Great transformation.
Its getting there, thanks!

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

Jeff,
Great work! I really like the bullet-proof solution this brings to the SCS unit. Question for you concerning the new thermostat. Is the CO1 & CO2 on your wiring diagram considered stag 1 and stage 2 as far as the new thermostat is concerned?

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

(08-12-2023, 08:23 PM)Latitude 28 Wrote:  Jeff,
Great work!  I really like the bullet-proof solution this brings to the SCS unit.  Question for you concerning the new thermostat.  Is the CO1 & CO2 on your wiring diagram considered stag 1 and stage 2 as far as the new thermostat is concerned?

Thanks Steve, yes this should make things a bit more reliable. Not to mention I will carry a spare 24v transformer and one of each of the relays as a spare. I am also planning on getting a couple spares of each of the capacitors, I got pictures of them while I had the unit open. 
So yes, CO1 and CO2 are compressor 1 and compressor 2 which is stage 1 and stage 2 respectively. The thermostat is labeled Y1 (compressor 1/stage 1) and Y2 (compressor 2/stage 2) for those stages. I am going to update the wiring diagram with the wire colors that I used and the terminal information for the thermostat so its more accurate as to the actual install. 
Which as of yesterday worked just as it should, including changing the outdoor fan speed to high when compressor 2/stage 2 is called for by the thermostat and then going back to low when its only calling for compressor 1/stage 1.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

Got it, you did a perfect explanation....thanks

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

So I buttoned up the #3/4 SCS unit yesterday. For now I added piercing valves to top up the refrigerant, but they will ultimately be used to evacuate the system and add permanent valves. 

Here is all the wiring cleaned up, going to replace that wire nut with a crimp on connector:

Now on to the other unit and also tearing into the steering/ wandering issues.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

Jeff,

I really like the Alumaconn connectors for that application, or any other high amperage such as Aquahot heater supply. I have not had one of them loosen or get hot for the ten years I have been using them.

https://www.amazon.com/King-Innovation-9...6542&psc=1

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(08-17-2023, 09:26 AM)Richard Wrote:  Jeff,

I really like the Alumaconn connectors for that application, or any other high amperage such as Aquahot heater supply. I have not had one of them loosen or get hot for the ten years I have been using them.

https://www.amazon.com/King-Innovation-9...6542&psc=1
Nice, that’s a good idea. Not heard of that brand before, the ones we use are called Polaris lugs. I will see what we have in stock in the warehouse. I like that cover on those better than the plugs on the Polaris style though.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

Here is a link for the connectors available at Lowe's.
https://www.lowes.com/pl/Alumiconn--Wire...=alumiconn

Nice job on the reconstruction.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile