You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Interesting Boondocking Electrical Build

https://youtu.be/gNseHzHydVs

Steve Denton turned me on to this guy cause he is in Alaska right now, in some of the same places we are. And he looks like me, or vice versa. 

Anyway, watching this video of the innards of his rig revealed some interesting approaches to power management in a full on, no budget considered, power management system. 

I am curious as to what you think.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

One thing that isn’t discussed much in the video is the mini split system.

But I did notice one very interesting detail. The outside unit is mounted hard up against the bay door, so that the round intake fan shroud appears to either be part of the door, or protrude through the door.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

He is proud of his system and he should be there's a lot of work and thought put into it.

We are using 1 split phase inverter charger, it will supply 8,000 Watts of power to the coach, that's 36 amps at 220 volts, seems like all the extra inverters and wiring could complicate things more than a help things in my opinion but to each his own. We are installing 5,250 watts of solar on the roof just for the one inverter charger. Now that we have limited our AC current (amps) usage that one inverter should do very well doing everything except running the dryer and all the other appliances at the same time. We have virtually eliminated the electrical usage of the aquahot this was a major challenge as you have a 220 and a 120 element that draws significant amount of power, that's why you have a switch so you can run the AC or the aqua Hot not at the same time. The little diesel water heater will supply almost instantaneous hot water for showers and over a period of time will heat the aqua Hot tank thus allowing us to preheat the engine in cold weather. We no longer heat our coach from the aquahot it's there it's just not going to be used. I installed an 8, 000 BTU diesel heater in the front also have one for the back which I have not installed yet plus the 3.5 tons of inverter heat pumps. The diesel units draw minimal amount of diesel as they are direct exchange of energy or other words the heat does not go through a liquid that goes through heat exchanger it goes directly into the air. Our 3.5 tons of LG heat pump mini splits has proven itself in both hot and cold to do a fantastic job. But we have all our evaporators inside the coach with a direct exchange of energy. Again to each his own. We also installed a macerator toilet which does what it says now all I have to do is install a positive displacement pump and it will pump all our sewage through a garden hose. Everyone has a different approach I'm hoping to have ours done before the end of September and if anybody is going to attend our pre Newell rally for 3 days or if they decide to stay we'll put it through the test or the no rally rally which the boss says we must go. Smile

That's my thoughts and my plan, time will tell if I screwed up.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Richard,
That was a nice video.
For the mini split vent directly outside I believe I've seen one in a Luxe Super Luxury 5th wheel. I'm probably wrong on the mfg.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

Richard,
Here is another Spacecraft Mfg Fiver close up of the mini split exhaust.  Like you said originally, looks like the condenser is gasketed to the exterior skin.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

You guys are so inspiring. Thx for sharing
Hank and Steve beat me to the keyboard and correct me if I'm wrong but aren't most of your original basement units vented exactly that way, gasket to the bay door, which seems to be a upgrade over ours which was through the floor

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

Very cool video. Love those struts on his solar panels.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Arch,

Sort of on mine. There is a aluminum doghouse extending from the unit almost to the door. It may have had a gasket a long time ago. I also have an expanded metal vent in the floor to allow air in. I think Newell was searching for a way to make them cool better.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad