You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Just Bought My First Motor Home
Photo 

Hello All,
 My Wife Lisa and I just purchased coach #385 a 1995 Newell NO slide coach.  We just cannot believe how well made the coach is, and how well it has been taken care of.  Yes it is 28 years old, but the interior is still in great shape for something that has bounced down the road for 150K miles.  The engine purrs like a kitten and I love when the Jake brake kicks in when slowing the coach down.  (Ladies its a guy thing)  I bought it in KY, about 800 mile from home, the first day was an experience.  The steering and air brakes are a lot different then a 2019 GMC Yukon Denali.  By day 3 I was allowing myself to sit back in the helm chair a little.  Made it home relatively safely with only a cracked windshield.  Please do not ask how this happened as I would not like to relive the experience.  Maybe in a few months at a Newell meet with a cold beer in my hand. The big issue I have currently is 2 of my basement airs are down. It really is the weakest link of this vintage rig.
[Image: 1N6aQQCGrHPR4WbWG68eBXSbJjSkxl198]

Karl and Lisa G.
Coach #385
Toad - Not ready for that yet Confused

Karl,
Congrats on the coach! Chime in with your questions!

What AC units do you have in your basement? SCS? Can you describe what is going on with your ACs?

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

(08-23-2023, 02:13 PM)bikestuff Wrote:  Karl,
Congrats on the coach!  Chime in with your questions!

What AC units do you have in your basement?  SCS?  Can you describe what is going on with your ACs?

Bill
Bill,
I have the Dometic units.  The 2 front ones are stacked in the front compartment.  The lower one, (front one) blows alot of air inside, but outside all I get is a "grrrr" for 3 to 5 seconds.  When this happens then genny stumbles a little, but hardly worth talking about, it is a 20kw.  It sounds like it is pulling to many amps, plain and simple.  Could be a bad capacitor, bad board, loose,bad,or arcing connector, or the compressor is seized.
The upper unit, or middle unit runs, but does not seem to blow alot of air.  The PO just replaced the evaporator fan, and while reassembling it drove a screw into the compressor wall.  Had that fixed, recharged and working.  On the way home stopped working.  I found it iced up outside, with very little airflow on the inside.  Since then, little cooling and marginal airflow on the inside.  Freeze ups are typically low on freon or too little air flow.  The bedroom unit will freeze you out.  I have no way personally to check freon levels, nor understand the lingo yet.   I like the units, they are super quiet, no wholes in the roof, etc.  I am looking for a troubleshooting flowchart for these units if anyone has them.

Karl and Lisa G.
Coach #385

OK,

The outside fan motor is shot on the unit that goes ‘grrrrrrrrr’.

https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?t...+AND+motor

The refrigerant has leaked out of the unit that was recharged. Dead giveaway is iced up evaporator.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Happy trails to you both! Hope to meet you down the road, we are attending the no rally rally in Gulf Shores and live just a short distance from Newell perhaps we can put a face with a name. Is your coach the first year for the series 60 DD?

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Congrats on the new coach!

Welcome Aboard

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

(08-24-2023, 03:46 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  Happy trails to you both! Hope to meet you down the road, we are attending the no rally rally in Gulf Shores and live just a short distance from Newell perhaps we can put a face with a name. Is your coach the first year for the series 60 DD?
Yes, 1995's were manufactured with both 8v92's and the Series 60.  I have been told that mine was the last one with the Allison 4 speed.

Karl and Lisa G.
Coach #385

Congratulations on your purchase! And welcome to your first problem solving project. As you've already witnessed, there is a wealth of knowledge and helpfulness here on the forum. I've been the recipient of quite a bit of help in my short time with our Newell as well. The Gurus are awesome!

Steve and Linda Burleson 
28 years of RVing
Current RVs: 1986 Newell #125 w/2004 Ram 3500
2006 Keystone Raptor Toyhauler 30' stays at the family farm 
Previous RVs: 1989 Rockwood Driftwood 35' gasser
1978 Georgie Boy 28' 

(08-23-2023, 12:03 PM)khgeisler Wrote:  Hello All,
 My Wife Lisa and I just purchased coach #385 a 1995 Newell NO slide coach.  We just cannot believe how well made the coach is, and how well it has been taken care of.  Yes it is 28 years old, but the interior is still in great shape for something that has bounced down the road for 150K miles.  The engine purrs like a kitten and I love when the Jake brake kicks in when slowing the coach down.  (Ladies its a guy thing)  I bought it in KY, about 800 mile from home, the first day was an experience.  The steering and air brakes are a lot different then a 2019 GMC Yukon Denali.  By day 3 I was allowing myself to sit back in the helm chair a little.  Made it home relatively safely with only a cracked windshield.  Please do not ask how this happened as I would not like to relive the experience.  Maybe in a few months at a Newell meet with a cold beer in my hand.  The big issue I have currently is 2 of my basement airs are down.  It really is the weakest link of this vintage rig.
[Image: 1N6aQQCGrHPR4WbWG68eBXSbJjSkxl198]

Congratulations and welcome to the group!

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

It is possible that your was the last Newell built with the HT741. I am not aware of any Newells built with that transmission after #388 and I don't have any definitive information regarding the transmission in #386-#388.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com