You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

220V heating element not working

My coach has the 431 AquaHot with the 110VAC & 220VAC heating elements.

My Aquahot overheated twice in two days and caused the circuit breaker on the 220 degree VAC dual high limit thermostat to trip.  After resetting the circuit breaker the second time my 220V heating element was no longer working-my voltage meters only showed a 10-12 amp draw on only one leg.  The 220 degree VAC dual high limit thermostat is located behind the 4" x 6" stainless steel cover on the left side of the tank as you face the tank.

A call to Rudy Leggett-Mr AquaHot-helped me understand the electric flow from the on/off switch to the heating elements.  Using a volt meter I found 240 volts flowing from the AquaHot relay to the 220 degree VAC dual high limit thermostat.  There was only 120 volts coming out of one side of the 220 degree VAC dual high limit thermostat.  Therefore only the 120V heating element was working.

Replaced the 220 degree VAC dual high limit thermostat and both heating elements are now working!

220 Degree F VAC Dual High Limit Thermostat (aquahot.com)

A special thanks to Rudy for his help!!!!  For all Newell owners I would encourage you to attend the No Rally Rally at Sun Resorts in Orange Beach, AL.  At the rally you can meet Rudy which will become an important asset for keeping your AquaHot running.  I have owned my Newell for 14 years and with Rudy's help I have been able to keep my unit running doing the work myself.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thank you Steve for the most kind comments. All the best.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

rudy is always so willing to help. has helped me many times..

btw, i have an impact socket machined to fit the electric elements that works great to get stubborn ones out. machined means a fellow guru took a new socket i sent him and milled it down so it is flat and not tapered at the end that contacts the element nut. rudy said he had one made so i had one done the same.

miine is always avail for any of you to borrow, just pay the shipping to and from my place.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks for posting. Starting doing a little troubleshooting on my AH but got sidetracked with other projects. Thought I had a problem since every time I turned on the AH electric element my front air would go off, turns out it’s supposed to do that. I found a burned up crimp on the connections I the AH going to the elements. Now I need to see if that’s working.

Then I will also get back to see if I can get the AH to fire off on diesel. It was trying to test the diesel side and noticed my blower was not running. So I fiddled around and I gave the control box a couple light taps and then the blower motor came to life. It was like the Fonz and the jukebox! So I got that far, but I am still not getting it to light. Thinking I need to check and see if I am getting a good spay pattern out of the jet. It’s hotter than heck here in FL so that has not been the focus but I need to mess with it and get it going.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

Jeff, call me between 8 and 8 central. There is excellent AH help very close to you. Rudy Legett. 8 one 8. 7 one 3. 3234.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Crazy as it sounds, after a bit of a struggle I managed to get the 220V element out from the BACK of the AH cabinet/enclosure. The "easier" one, the 110V one in front is still in there. Dead. 220V on it's own did a wonderful job of keeping the coach from freezing over the winter. If I ever get up the gumption to re-drain and try again to remove the 110V one.. I'll let you know! Smile

Only real issue I have left with my AH is a VERY slow coolant leak into the exhaust. Maybe 4 oz in a week or so. No idea where it's coming from. This is with the AH OFF!

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

(08-25-2023, 05:17 PM)Trainer Wrote:  Jeff, call me between 8 and 8 central.  There is excellent AH help very close to you.  Rudy Legett. 8 one 8. 7 one 3. 3234.

Thanks Rudy. Appreciate it.

(08-26-2023, 06:21 AM)Wanderman Wrote:  Crazy as it sounds, after a bit of a struggle I managed to get the 220V element out from the BACK of the AH cabinet/enclosure. The "easier" one, the 110V one in front is still in there. Dead. 220V on it's own did a wonderful job of keeping the coach from freezing over the winter. If I ever get up the gumption to re-drain and try again to remove the 110V one.. I'll let you know! Smile

Only real issue I have left with my AH is a VERY slow coolant leak into the exhaust. Maybe 4 oz in a week or so. No idea where it's coming from. This is with the AH OFF!

So after looking at mine, it appears that all AH did was put in two 110v elements, so its not really 220v. At least that is what I am seeing. My plan is to separate them so I can just run one element in the summer and then I can switch back to the two elements in the winter when I do not need the A/C. Although I will most likely also be running the diesel heater if I am heating the bus, just depends on if I have electric service or not. I will post more about these changes when I get a chance to mess with this project. I have bigger fish to fry right now.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)