You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air leak while parked

Hi Gurus.  I am assuming that I have a slow air leak in the system.  While I am parked at a campground, my compressor kicks on about every 90 minutes, day and night.  While it doesn't bother me too much, I figure that this is additional wear and tear on the compressor and will wear it out prematurely.  I cannot hear any air leaks, so it must be pretty slow.  I know that the previous owner replaced all the air bags, so it shouldn't be coming from those.  Any pointers on where to begin or what might be the best way to go about tracing this down?  I figure I might save some time and aggravation by asking the Gurus first.

Steve and Linda Burleson 
28 years of RVing
Current RVs: 1986 Newell #125 w/2004 Ram 3500
2006 Keystone Raptor Toyhauler 30' stays at the family farm 
Previous RVs: 1989 Rockwood Driftwood 35' gasser
1978 Georgie Boy 28' 

I can say that on mine I had a faulty transmission modulator which was allowing air to blow past the seal and into the transmission fluid. I only found it when I was under the coach and heard gurgling in the trans pan. Part was $130 and is supposed to be replaced at every transmission fluid change. Compressor went from running every 30 min to over 4 hours

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

(08-28-2023, 10:20 AM)BusNit Wrote:  I can say that on mine I had a faulty transmission modulator which was allowing air to blow past the seal and into the transmission fluid. I only found it when I was under the coach and heard gurgling in the trans pan. Part was $130 and is supposed to be replaced at every transmission fluid change. Compressor went from running every 30 min to over 4 hours
Fascinating... This is something that I would have never suspected.. I guess I will listen for some gurgling then.  Thanks for the info!

Steve and Linda Burleson 
28 years of RVing
1978 Georgie Boy 28' 

(08-28-2023, 12:16 PM)Burlyman Wrote:  
(08-28-2023, 10:20 AM)BusNit Wrote:  I can say that on mine I had a faulty transmission modulator which was allowing air to blow past the seal and into the transmission fluid. I only found it when I was under the coach and heard gurgling in the trans pan. Part was $130 and is supposed to be replaced at every transmission fluid change. Compressor went from running every 30 min to over 4 hours
Fascinating... This is something that I would have never suspected.. I guess I will listen for some gurgling then.  Thanks for the info!
Williams WM775B is the modulator my transmission used on my Wanderlodge with my MT654 transmission. I have heard a couple of folks had this same issue in the Wanderlodge group. 

This of course only applies to those who have an air throttle.

I also heard of a guy that had an air horn that was stuck on, would not allow the coach to build air and was not enough air to toot the horn. He about went mad trying to figure that one out. Our air horns are on the roof and he just happened to notice a slight sound from the horns.
Food for thought, air leaks could be anything that takes air.

I have also heard of systems leaking back through the compressor too.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

(08-28-2023, 02:38 PM)[email protected] Wrote:  
(08-28-2023, 12:16 PM)Burlyman Wrote:  
Williams WM775B is the modulator my transmission used on my Wanderlodge with my MT654 transmission. I have heard a couple of folks had this same issue in the Wanderlodge group. 

This of course only applies to those who have an air throttle.

I also heard of a guy that had an air horn that was stuck on, would not allow the coach to build air and was not enough air to toot the horn. He about went mad trying to figure that one out. Our air horns are on the roof and he just happened to notice a slight sound from the horns.
Food for thought, air leaks could be anything that takes air.

I have also heard of systems leaking back through the compressor too.

Excellent food for thought.  It's not an emergency situation by any means, but I guess I will just start checking every spot that air goes to or from, listen closely, and use a spray bottle of soapy water where I have access.

Steve and Linda Burleson 
28 years of RVing
1978 Georgie Boy 28' 

When we bought our coach the air compressor came on every 15 minutes, after watching a number of the videos on YouTube that Richard posted gave a very clear explanation of the systems and how to track down leaks but one tool that I bought has been a lifesaver in time and effort is a ultrasonic leak detector, my hearing isn't good but believe  me somebody with excellent hearing cannot hear in the ultrasonic range. I bought a used ultrasonic leak detector on eBay for a very small amount of money and it has been fantastic for finding more than just air leaks it also detects Freon leaks.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

(08-29-2023, 06:25 PM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  When we bought our coach the air compressor came on every 15 minutes, after watching a number of the videos on YouTube that Richard posted gave a very clear explanation of the systems and how to track down leaks but one tool that I bought has been a lifesaver in time and effort is a ultrasonic leak detector, my hearing isn't good but believe  me somebody with excellent hearing cannot hear in the ultrasonic range. I bought a used ultrasonic leak detector on eBay for a very small amount of money and it has been fantastic for finding more than just air leaks it also detects Freon leaks.

Finding Air AND freon leaks... Brilliant!  I'll look for this item, as my maintenance crew has somewhere around 100 AC units to maintain and service and they could certainly use one as well.

Thanks for mentioning this.  If I can get one shipped to me in time, it'll go with me on my trip next week.

Steve and Linda Burleson 
28 years of RVing
1978 Georgie Boy 28' 

I bought a 24 volt air conditioning system on Amazon for our class B van that claim to be 13,000 BTU blah from China and the machine fittings on the electric compressor we're not sized  for the o-rings that came on the fittings I found it with my old cosmic ray detector. Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Wow...every 90 minutes??? You guys should be thankful!!! Newer coaches, like our 2015, are lucky to get a half hour!!

When I get into the cold, there's major shrinkage...I'm talking about air lines and the STUPID *(%^*^% push to connect swivel fittings that Newell uses!!! I've replaced SOOOO many and the hunt goes on to find more.

I use nothing but the AMPROBE ULD-405 and have turned many many others onto it. I can't believe how much it's gone up, yeah expensive, but saves me plenty of therapy sessions for AirLeak PTSD! LOL
https://amzn.to/3sQttjw

I made several videos, but here's one for ya:
https://youtu.be/_Z15V0CGS1Q

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Wow Steve, that would drive me nuts if the air needed replenishing that often. Loved your fitting video by the way! The hint of sarcasm made my day. Forgot to let you know!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312